Ilya Kokorin is connected to the Institute of Private Law, Department Financial Law, as a PhD candidate.
He completed his LL.M in Advanced Studies in International Civil & Commercial Law (cum laude) at Leiden University, as well as LL.M in Comparative Constitutional Law at Central European University (Hungary).
Title research: Intra-group financing in corporate rescue and restructuring within the EU.
Ilya Kokorin (born 1987) is a teacher at the Company Law Department, Institute of Private Law at Leiden University. He completed his LL.M in International Civil and Commercial Law (cum laude) from Leiden Law School, writing his thesis under the academic supervision of Jeroen van der Weide. The thesis analyzed various approaches to the doctrine of unforeseen change of circumstances in some of the key European jurisdictions. He also participated in the Meijer’s Institute Talent Programme, as part of which he took internships in litigation and arbitration practice groups of NautaDutilh and Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer in Amsterdam. While studying in Leiden, Ilya was also a member of Leiden University team in Vis Moot competition (2014-2015).
Before coming to Leiden, Ilya received his LL.M in Comparative Constitutional Law from Central European University (Hungary) and the Specialist degree in Law from Tomsk State University (Russia).
Prior to joining Leiden University team, Ilya practiced commercial law in Russia, working for Mannheimer Swartling, Borenius Russia and other law firms. His area of expertise included insolvency law, international arbitration, commercial disputes and intellectual property. Soon after graduating from Leiden University, Ilya has opened his own full-service law firm in Saint Petersburg.
Apart from legal consultancy, Ilya has been active in legal research and writing. He has written on such topics as legal aspects of sharing economy, arbitration reform in Russia, sanctions for doping in sports law and cross-border insolvency issues.
Ilya is a member of INSOL Europe Young Members Group and the Netherlands Alumni Network in Russia.
- Kokorin I., The Curious Case of Vladimir Kekhman, and Treatment of Foreign Insolvencies in Russia, INSOL Europe Inside Story, November 2016.
- Kokorin I., Russian Rio 2016 Saga: Lex Sportiva in Action, Kluwer Arbitration Blog, 2 September 2016.
- Kokorin I., Creeping “Crusade” of Russian Courts against Arbitrability of Public-Related Disputes, Kluwer Arbitration Blog, 3 March 2016.
- Kokorin I., Van der Weide J. Force Majeure and Unforeseen Change of Circumstances. The Case of Embargoes and Currency Fluctuations (Russian, German and French Approaches), The Russian Law Journal. 2015. Vol. 3. No. 3, 46-82.
English / Russian.
- Kokorin I. (2021), The future of harmonisation of directors' duties in the European Union: The Preventive Restructuring Directive and group insolvencies, International Insolvency Review 30(3): 361-382.
- Kokorin I. (2021), Review of: G. McCormack (2021) The European Restructuring Directive, International Insolvency Review 30(3): 469-472.
- Kokorin I. & Wessels B. (2021), Cross-Border Protocols in Insolvencies of Multinational Enterprise Groups Elgar Corporate and Insolvency Law and Practice. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Kokorin I. (2021), Third-Party Releases in Insolvency of Multinational Enterprise Groups, European Company and Financial Law Review 18(1): 107-140.
- Kokorin I., Mevorach I. & Madaus S. (6 February 2021), Global Competition in Cross-Border Restructuring and Recognition of Centralized Group Solutions (Lecture): Annual symposium of the Texas International Law Journal 'The Global Competition for Large Insolvency Cases: Theoretical and Practical Implications'.
- Kokorin I., Madaus S. & Mevorach I. (2021), Global Competition in Cross-Border Restructuring and Recognition of Centralized Group Solutions, Texas International Law Journal 56(2): 109-154.
- Kokorin I. (2021), Insolvency of significant non-financial enterprises: lessons from bank failures and bank resolution, European Business Law Review 32(3): 521-555.
- Kokorin I. (2021), Review of: Singh D. (2020) European Cross‐Border Banking and Banking Supervision, International Insolvency Review 30(1): 145-148.
- Kokorin I. (2021), Promotion of group restructuring and cross-entity liability arrangements, Journal of Corporate Law Studies 21(2): 557-593.
- Kokorin I. (2021), The rise of ‘group solution’ in insolvency law and bank resolution, European Business Organization Law Review 22(4): 781-811.
- Haentjens M., Kokorin I. & Graaf T.J. de (17 September 2020), The Insolvency of Crypto-Exchanges: Risks and Challenges (Lecture): National University of Singapore.
- Haentjens M., Graaf T.J. de & Kokorin I. (1 June 2020), The Failed Hopes of Disintermediation: Crypto-custodian Insolvency, Legal Risks and How to Avoid Them. Oxford Business Law Blog. Oxford: Oxford University [blog entry].
- Haentjens M., Graaf T.J. de & Kokorin I. (18 May 2020), The Failed Hopes of Cryptocurrency Disintermediation. Machine Lawyering. Hong Kong: CUHK, Law Faculty, Centre for Financial Regulation and Economic Development (CFRED) [blog entry].
- Kokorin I. (2020), Conflicts of interest, intra-group financing and procedural coordination of group insolvencies, International Insolvency Review 29(1): 32-60.
- Kokorin I. (2020), Contracting Around Insolvency Jurisdiction: Private Ordering in European Insolvency Jurisdiction Rules and Practices. In: Lazić, V.; Stuij, S. (Eds.) Recasting the Insolvency Regulation: Improvements and Missed Opportunities. Short Studies in Private International Law Den Haag: Asser Press. 21-57.
- Kokorin I. (2020), Co-ordination in bank resolution and the issue of conflicts of interest, Journal of International Banking Law and Regulation 35(3): 100-115.
- Kokorin I. (2020), Intra-Group Financial Support in a Crisis: Between Rescue and Abuse, Norton Journal of Bankruptcy Law and Practice 29(5): 378-420.
- Haentjens M., Graaf T.J. de & Kokorin I. (2020), The Failed Hopes of Disintermediation: Crypto-Custodian Insolvency, Legal Risks and How to Avoid Them, Singapore Journal of Legal Studies 2020(2): 526-563.
- Kokorin I. (2020), Один за всех и все за одного: предотвращение банкротства и пределы свободы договора. Перевод решения ВС Нидерландов от 12.08.2005, NJ 2006/230, ECLI:NL:HR:2005:AT7799 (Groenemeijer/Payroll) и комментарий к нему (One for All, All for One: Insolvency Prevention and the Limits of Freedom of Contract. Judgment of the Supreme Court of the Netherlands from 12 August 2005, NJ 2006/230, ECLI:NL:HR:2005:AT7799 (Groenemeijer/Payroll) with Commentary), Вестник экономического правосудия Российской Федерации (Review of Commercial Justice) 2020(2): 32-44.
- Kokorin I., Haentjens M. & Graaf T.J. de (26 June 2019), Bitcoin, crypto-custodians and their insolvency (Lecture). Oxford: Commercial Law Centre of Harris Manchester College.
- Wessels B. & Kokorin I. (11 March 2019), Divergent trends in COMI determination: Singapore’s position further drifts from European approach. Global Restructuring Review [blog entry].
- Kokorin I. & Wessels B., annotation: European Court of Human Rights 5 July 2018, no. 41299/09 & 11132/10, JOR 2019,3; 778-790 (JOR 2019/64 Boyadzhieva and Gloria International Limited Eood v. Bulgaria).
- Wessels B. & Kokorin I. (2019), Cross-Border Cooperation and Communication: How to Comply with Data Protection Rules in Matters of Insolvency and Restructuring, International Corporate Rescue 16(2): 98-103.
- Boon J.M.G.J., Kokorin I. & Pool J.M.W. (2019), Improving Restructuring of Corporate Groups in Europe: Report on the ELI and BLRN conferences in December 2018, Tijdschrift voor Insolventierecht 2019(3): 162-168 (TvI 2019/21).
- Boon J.M.G.J., Kokorin I. & Pool J.M.W. (2019), Restructuring of Corporate Groups in Europe, Eurofenix. The Journal of INSOL Europe 75(Spring 2019): 10.
- Kokorin I. & Wessels B. (2018), European Union Regulation on Insolvency Proceedings: An Introductory Analysis. Alexandria: American Bankruptcy Institute.
- Kokorin I. (2018), Все кредиторы равны, но некоторые равнее других. К вопросу о субординации корпоративных займов при банкротстве в России, Германии и США (All creditors are equal, but some are more equal than others. Subordination of shareholder loans in bankruptcy in Russia, Germany and the USA), Вестник экономического правосудия Российской Федерации (Review of Commercial Justice) 2018(2): 119-137.
- Kokorin I. (4 October 2017), Sandboxes for Directors: Minimizing Liability Exposure in Financially Distressed Companies (Lecture). Warsaw: INSOL Europe Academic Forum.
- Kokorin I. & Timmermans W.A. (2017), Arbitration Reform in Russia: Will Russia Become More Arbitration-Friendly?, Tijdschrift voor Arbitrage 2017(2): 50-57 (TvA 2017/22).
- Kokorin I. & Wessels B. (2017), Recognition of Foreign Insolvency Judgments: The Case of Yukos, European Company Law 14(6): 226-233.