Huw Twiston Davies
Huw Twiston Davies is a Postdoctoral Research Fellow at Leiden University, working on the NWO-VIDI funded project, “The Walking Dead: The Making of a Cultural Geography at Saqqara”. He The main focus of his research is the composition, copying, and development of ancient Egyptian literary and religious texts from the New Kingdom (c. 1550-1077 BC). He completed his PhD at the University of Liverpool in 2018.
The main focus of current research draws on material philology and textual criticism, and focuses on the process of copying literary and religious texts in and after the New Kingdom (c. 1550-1077 BC), and the contexts in which that copying took place. This involves not only the examination of texts, but also considering archaeological context and physical and visual elements of manuscripts to understand their production. This work considers the way in which texts were used and adapted over time by individual copyists who were actively engaged in editing the texts they copied, rather than seeking to reconstruct a hypothetical “original version” of any given text.
- PhD in Egyptology, University of Liverpool (2018)
- MA in Egyptology, University of Liverpool (2012)
- BA in Oriental Studies (Egyptology), University of Liverpool (2010)
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, University of Leiden (2018-)
- Curatorial Assistant, Garstang Museum of Archaeology, University of Liverpool (2016-2017)
- Del Vesco P., Greco C., Soliman D., Staring N.T.B. & Weiss L.V. (2020), The Leiden-Turin Archaeological Expedition to Saqqara: Preliminary Results of the 2019 Fieldwork Season, Rivista del Museo Egizio 4: 62-93.
- Twiston Davies H.P.R. (2019), The Harpists' Songs at Saqqara: Transmission, Performance, and Contexts. In: Staring N., Twiston Davies H., Weiss L. (Eds.) Perspectives on Lived Religion, Practices - Transmission - Landscape. Papers on Archaeology of the Leiden Museum of Antiquities no. 21 Leiden: Sidestone Press. 97-129.
- Twiston Davies H.P.R. & Nielsen N. (2019), Garstang Stela E.31 and the Family of Iy at Abydos, Zeitschrift für Ägyptische Sprache und Altertumskunde 146(1): 69-81.
- Staring N.T.B., Twiston Davies H.P.R. & Weiss L.V. (2019), Perspectives on Lived Religion: Practices - Transmission - Landscape Papers on Archaeology of the Leiden Museum of Antiquities no. 21. Leiden: Sidestone Press.
No relevant ancillary activities