Before she started her academic career, Gemma Zantinge finished teacher training college in Leiden and worked as an elementary school teacher for several years. In 2009 she received her Bachelor’s degree in Clinical Child and Adolescent studies, and in 2011 she completed the Research Master’s programme in Developmental Psychopathology in Education and Child Studies at Leiden University. During the developmental psychopathology programme she also did a clinical internship at the Ambulatorium, focusing on testing and treatment of children with behavioral and neuropsychological problems.
Currently, Gemma is working on her PhD at the programme group Clinical Neurodevelopmental Sciences, where she also works as a teacher for graduate students. She is a member of the Faculty Board and has started a project to improve PR and communication for the department.
Gemma’s PhD project is a collaboration between the programme group of Clinical Neurodevelopmental Sciences of Leiden University and the Centre for Autism. Her research focuses on the neurobiological mechanisms of emotion regulation in young children with autism.
- NVO Basis Orthopedagoog
- NVO Aantekening Diagnostiek
- Prof. J.T. Swaab
- Dr. S. van Rijn (co-supervisor)
- Faculteit der Sociale Wetenschappen
- Instituut Pedagogische Wetenschappen
- Neuropedagogiek en ontwikk. stoornissen
- Zantinge G., Rijn S. van, Stockman L. & Swaab H. (2019), Concordance between physiological arousal and emotion expression during fear in young children with autism spectrum disorders, Autism : The International Journal of Research and Practice 23(3): 629-638.
- Zantinge G.M. (21 February 2018), Emotion processing in preschoolers with autism spectrum disorders (PhD thesis. i, Social and Behavioural Sciences, Leiden University). Supervisor(s) and Co-supervisor(s): Swaab, H., Rijn, S. van.
- Zantinge G.M., Van Rijn S., Stockmann L. & Swaab J.T. (2017), Physiological Arousal and Emotion Regulation Strategies in Young Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders, Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 47(9): 2648-2657.
- Zantinge G., Van Rijn S., Stockmann L. & Swaab H. (2017), Psychophysiological responses to emotions of others in young children with autism spectrum disorders: Correlates of social functioning, Autism Research 10(9): 1499-1509.
- Zantinge G., Van Rijn S., Stockmann L., Swaab & H. (2017), Physiological arousal and emotion regulation strategies in young children with autism spectrum. European Society for Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Conference, Geneva.
- Zantinge G., Van Rijn S., Stockmann L. & Swaab H. (2017), Psychophysiological responses to emotions of others in young children with autism spectrum disorders: Correlates of social functioning. European Society for Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Conference, Geneva.
- Redacteur bij het Tijdschrift voor Orthopedagogiek