My PhD research focuses on smoking and identity. I am very interested in the influence of smokers’ identification with certain behaviors (smoking, nonsmoking, quitting) and groups (smokers, nonsmokers, quitters) on their smoking behavior and the way they respond to antismoking measures. I also study how the identity of smokers may change. In my work, I specifically focus on lower SES smokers to explore which factors may help them to cease smoking.
I am staff member and statistical advisor at the Master Thesis Lab.
(Inter)national scientific memberships
- Member Association for Research in Psychology & Health (ARPH)
- Member Nederlands Netwerk voor Tabaksonderzoek (NNvT)
- Member European Health Psychology Society (EHPS) and CREATE
- Member European Association for Social Psychology (EASP)
- Member Associatie voor Sociaal Psychologische Onderzoekers (Association for Researchers in Social Psychology)
Meijer, E. (2015). Niet-rokers stoppen eerder. Leidsch Universitair Weekblad Mare, 5 November 2015.
Meijer, E. (2015). Meer begrip voor de roker. Leidsch Dagblad, 20 January 2015.
Meijer, E. (2014). Rokers, doe iets! Trouw, 28 June 2014.