- Dr. A.M. Bouland LLM
- +31 71 527 2727
Annelien Bouland is an affiliated fellow of the Van Vollenhoven Institute.
Annelien Bouland's research explores how Senegalese women try to realize their perceived marriage, divorce and post –divorce rights. Following clients to their communities, to mediators or courts, she will map how they use state law, customary and sharia based norms, and how these interrelate and interact.
Annelien Bouland has a background in Cultural Anthropology (BSc) and obtained an MSc in Law, Anthropology and Society at the London School of Economics and Political Science (with distinction). She also studied Law and obtained an LLB (with distinction) and an LLM at the University of Amsterdam. Prior to joining the Van Vollenhoven Institute, Annelien Bouland spent three years at a law firm practicing asylum and immigration law, followed by an internship with Cordaid, working on legal empowerment projects in fragile and conflict affected states.
- Faculteit Rechtsgeleerdheid
- Instituut voor Metajuridica
- Van Vollenhoven Instituut
- Bouland A.M. (18 May 2022), Please give me my divorce: an ethnography of Muslim women and the law in Senegal (PhD thesis. Institute for the Interdisciplinary Study of the Law, Faculty of Law, Leiden University) Meijers-reeks no. MI-389. Supervisor(s) and Co-supervisor(s): Otto J.M. & Kaag M.M.A., Jacobs C.I.M.
- Bouland A. (2020), "Please Give Me My Voice": Women's Out-of-Court Divorce in a Secondary City in Senegal, Islamic Africa 11(2): 163-183.
- Bouland A.M. (29 March 2021), From force to consent: a new definition of rape in the Netherlands. Leiden Law Blog. Leiden: Leiden University [blog entry].
- Bouland A.M. (2022), Family law in Senegal: opposition and pragmatic pluralism, Canadian Journal of African Studies / Revue canadienne des études africaines 56(1): 161-180.
- Bouland A.M. (2019), Senegalese vrouwen zien eindelijk zichzelf op tv: Kunnen soapseries bijdragen aan het veranderen van genderrollen?, One World Magazine.
- Bouland A.M. (2018), Marital disputes and divorce in Senegal: Women’s paths to justice in a pluralist landscape, Recht der Werkelijkheid 39(1): 43-47.
- Bouland A.M. (12 September 2016), Should she stay or should she go? Socio-legal dilemmas in Senegal. Leiden Law Blog [blog entry].
- Bouland A.M. (20 February 2016), Wearing two hats: The role of délégués de quartier in marriage reconciliation and divorce in Senegal. Leiden Law Blog. Leiden: Leiden University [blog entry].
No relevant ancillary activities