Alan M. Sears
Researcher / Lecturer
Alan has been working as a Researcher at the Centre for Law and Digital Technologies (eLaw) since April 2018.
Alan M. Sears received a B.A. in Psychology and Business Administration from Baylor University, a J.D. from the University of Notre Dame, and an LL.M. in Law and Digital Technologies from Leiden University. He has worked as a researcher with Article 19 Mexico and Central America and with Derechos Digitales in Chile, as a law clerk and researcher for Justice Madlanga of the Constitutional Court of South Africa, and as a Google Policy Fellow with Fundación para la Libertad de Prensa (FLIP) in Colombia.
At eLaw, Alan conducts research as part of a team within the EU-funded e-SIDES Project, which sets out to explore the ethical, social, and legal challenges surrounding privacy-preserving big data technologies. His research interests include freedom of expression and privacy/data protection online, and he has also researched issues ranging from Internet governance to intermediary liability and telecommunications regulations (particularly net neutrality and zero rating).
- Sears A.M. (2020), Algorithmic speech and freedom of expression, Vanderbilt Journal of Transnational Law 53(4): 1327-1376.
- Lara Gálvez J.C. & Sears A.M. (2020), The Impact of Free Trade Agreements on Internet Intermediary Liability in Latin America. In: Frosio G. (Ed.) Oxford Handbook of Online Intermediary Liability. Oxford Handbooks in Law Oxford: Oxford University Press. 172-189.
- Rest J.I. van der, Sears A.M., Miao L. & Wang L. (2020), A note on the future of personalized pricing: cause for concern, Journal of Revenue and Pricing Management 19(2): 113-118.
- Sears A.M. (2020), The Limits of Online Price Discrimination in Europe, Columbia Science and Technology Law Review 21(1): 1-42.
- La Fors K., Bachlechner D., Sears A.M., Custers B.H.M. & Friedewald M. (2019), E-Sides Community Position Paper (CPP): Towards a more accountable big data governance and responsible innovation of privacy-preserving technologies: Horizon2020 of the European Commission (Deliverable 5.3) (. Centre for Law and Digital Technologies, Faculty of Law, Leiden University).
- Bachlechner D., Friedewald M., La Fors K., Sears A.M. & Custers B.H.M. (2019), Recommendations and conclusions (E-Sides Deliverable 5.2): Horizon2020 of the European Commission (. Centre for Law and Digital Technologies, Faculty of Law, Leiden University).
- McInnis K., Sears A.M. & Siatitsa I. (12 June 2019), Tracker versus Trackee: The chasm between individuals’ understanding of online tracking and the real data collection (and processing) power of trackers and what can be done to bridge the divide (Lecture) RightsCon. Tunis, Tunisia.
- Leiser M.R., Kalis P., Sears A.M., Noonan D., Ossmann-Magiera L. & Mo D. (2019), Zero-rating: ‘positive net neutrality’ and the material reduction of consumer choice. Belfast: BILETA Annual Conference (16-17 April 2019).
- Sears A.M. (20 March 2019), Algorithms and Freedom of Expression (Lecture) Cambridge International Law Conference. Cambridge, England.
- Bachlechner D., Friedewald M., Weitkamp J., Prill M.A., La Fors K., Sears A.M. & Custers B.H.M. (2019), Overview of design requirements (D4.2) (. Centre for Law and Digital Technologies, Faculty of Law, Leiden University), : Horizon2020 of the European Commission.
- Custers B.H.M., Sears A.M., Dechesne F., Georgieva I.N., Tani T. & Hof S. van der (2019), EU Personal Data Protection in Policy and Practice. Information technology & law series no. 29. Heidelberg: Asser/Springer.
- Bachlechner D., La Fors K. & Sears A.M. (2018), The Role of Privacy-Preserving Technologies in the Age of Big Data. In: Proceedings of the 13th Pre-ICIS Workshop on Information Security and Privacy, San Francisco, December 13, 2018. San Francisco: AIS SIGSEC, Bright Internet & Trust, and IFIP TC.
- La Fors K., Sears A.M., Bachlechner D., Friedwald M., Weitkamp J., Prill M.A. & Custers B. (2018), Results of the gap analysis (. Centre for Law and Digital Technologies, Faculty of Law, Leiden University), : Horizon2020 of the European Commission.
- Bachlechner D., Friedewald M., Weitkamp J., Prill M.A., La Fors K. & Sears A.M. (2018), Assessment of Existing Technologies (. Centre for Law and Digital Technologies, Faculty of Law, Leiden University).
- Custers B.H.M., Dechesne F., Sears A.M., Tani T. & Hof S. van der (2018), A comparison of data protection legislation and policies across the EU, Computer Law & Security Review 34(2): 234-243.
No relevant ancillary activities