Morshed Mannan has been connected to the Company Law Department, Institute of Private Law since January 2017 as a PhD candidate. He completed his LLM in Advanced Studies in International Civil & Commercial Law (cum laude) at Leiden University.
Morshed Mannan (1990) is a Meijers PhD candidate attached to the Company Law Department, Institute of Private Law. He completed his LLM in Advanced Studies in International Civil & Commercial Law ( cum laude) at Leiden University. His Master’s Thesis was supervised by Professor Dr. Bob Wessels and was entitled: “The Prospects and Challenges of Adopting the UNCITRAL Model Law on Cross-Border Insolvency in South Asia (Bangladesh, India and Pakistan)”. He also participated in the Meijer’s Institute Talent Programme, as part of which he undertook a research internship under the supervision of Professor Dr. A.G. Castermans and Dr. C.P.L. van Woensel. During the internship, he researched and drafted a chapter for a Course Book on Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) for future business lawyers with Professor Castermans and Dr. van Woensel.
Previously, he completed his Bachelor of Laws at the University of Warwick (Coventry, UK) in 2011 and was called to the Bar of England & Wales in 2012.
Prior to moving to Leiden, Mannan practiced as a lawyer in Bangladesh and lectured on commercial law, administrative law and jurisprudence at an Affiliate Centre of the University of London International Programme in Dhaka. He has written on an array of topics, ranging from the regulation of on-demand transportation technology aggregators and workers’ compensation in Bangladesh to the influence of literature on English trusts law to international commercial arbitration, for both peer-reviewed publications and the popular press.
Research areas & interests
His PhD research project is entitled ‘Buyout!: Achieving Business Resilience by Democratizing Ownership’. His doctoral research will build on his work investigating worker cooperatives by analyzing the role that employees may have in saving small-to-medium European businesses that face closure as a result of succession issues or temporary financial distress. His research interests also extend to employee ownership, international labour rights, corporate social responsibility and corporate governance.
- De Filippi P., Mannan M. & Reijers W. (2020), Blockchain as a Confidence Machine: The Problem of Trust & Challenges of Governance, Technology in Society 62(101284): 1-14.
- Mannan M. & Wuisman I.S. (2019), Freedom of Establishment for Companies in Europe (EU/EEA) Ars Aequi cahiers. Privaatrecht. Nijmegen: Ars Aequi Libri.
- Mannan M., Mahbubur Rahman M. & Uddin Khan B. (2019), National Report for Bangladesh. In: Chuah J., Vaccari E. (Eds.) Executory Contracts in Insolvency Law: A Global Guide. Elgar Comparative Guides Cheltenham: Edward Elgar. 499-518.
- Reijers W., Wuisman I.S., Mannan M., De Filippi P., Wray C., Rae-Looi V., Cubillos Vélez A. & Orgad L. (2020), Now the Code Runs Itself: On-Chain and Off-Chain Governance of Blockchain Technologies, Topoi : An International Review of Philosophy .
- Mannan M. (2018), Conference Report: Report of the 1st Conference on 'Reshaping Work in the Platform Economy', European Company Law 15(1): 30-35.
- Mannan M. (2018), Fostering Worker Cooperatives with Blockchain Technology: Lessons from the Colony Project, Erasmus Law Review 11(3): 190-203.
- Mannan M. & Dutia R. (2018), Transnational legal development and the platform economy - Part 1: Uber’s foray into transnational regulation. Doing Business Right Blog. Den Haag: Asser Institute [blog entry].
- Mannan M., Orij R.P. & Woensel C.P.L. van (2017), Business, society and stakeholders. In: Castermans A.G., Woensel C.P.L. van (Eds.) CSR for young business lawyers. Den Haag: Eleven International Publishing. 59-84.
- Castermans A.G., Mannan M. & Woensel C.P.L. van (2017), Explaining CSR. In: Castermans A.G., Woensel C.P.L. van (Eds.) CSR for young business lawyers. Den Haag: Boom Juridisch. 23-58.
- Mannan M. (2017), Shareholders' role regarding CSR. In: Castermans A.G., Woensel C.P.L. van (Eds.) CSR for young business lawyers. Den Haag: Eleven International Publishing. 143-169.
- Mannan M. (29 November 2016), Regulating on-demand transport technology. The Daily Star.
- Mannan M. (2016), Are Bangladesh, India and Pakistan Ready to Adopt the UNCITRAL Model Law on Cross-Border Insolvency?, International Insolvency Review 25(3): 195-224.
- Wuisman I.S. & Mannan M. (2016), Mitigating the democratic entropy of worker cooperatives: a holacratic approach. In: Boom W. van, Breedveld-de Voogd C., Castermans A.G., Deugd-Dijkman M. de, Hijma J. (Eds.) Een kwart eeuw. Privaatrechtelijke opstellen, aangeboden aan prof. mr. H.J. Snijders. Deventer: Wolters Kluwer. 491-510.
- Wuisman I.S. & Mannan M. (2016), Mitigating the democratic entropy of worker cooperatives: a holocratic approach. Lévis: Sommet international des coopératives. 1-21.
No relevant ancillary activities