Computer Science & AI
The Faculty of Science and the Leiden Institute of Advanced Computer Science (LIACS) are looking for a : Assistant Professor in Applied Cryptography and Security (0.8-1.0 fte) Key responsibilities The rapid evolution and expansion of Computer Science and the increasing integration of computing with other disciplines creates new challenges on developing and understanding modern computing systems and networks. Through this position, we aim to strengthen the research and education on Applied Cryptography and Security at our Institute. We are searching for an assistant professor to bring in expertise complementary to the expertise that is already present at LIACS.
- Conducting independent research in your field, establishing an own research group;
- Teaching suitable BSc and MSc courses and supervising BSc, MSc, and PhD students;
- Securing external funding for research;
- Contributing to organizational activities of the Institute.
- PhD degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or a closely related field;
- Several years of experience at the postdoctoral level in this field;
- Strong publication record and experience in raising research funds;
- Proven track record in teaching;
- Energetic ‘out-of-the-box’ thinker with a clear view on a challenging research program;
- Team spirit/collaborative attitude.
Research at our faculty/institute
The Faculty of Science is a world-class faculty where staff and students work together in a dynamic international environment. It is a faculty where personal and academic development are top priorities. Our people are committed to expand fundamental knowledge by curiosity and to look beyond the borders of their own discipline; their aim is to benefit science, and to make a contribution to addressing the major societal challenges of the future.
The research carried out at the Faculty of Science is very diverse, ranging from mathematics, information science, astronomy, physics, chemistry and bio-pharmaceutical sciences to biology and environmental sciences. The research activities are organised in eight institutes. These institutes offer eight bachelor’s and twelve master’s programmes. The faculty has grown strongly in recent years and now has more than 2,300 staff and almost 5,000 students. We are located at the heart of Leiden’s Bio Science Park, one of Europe’s biggest science parks, where university and business life come together.
You will be part of the Leiden Institute of Advanced Computer Science (LIACS). LIACS offers courses at the Bachelor and Master of Science level in Artificial Intelligence, Computer Science, ICT in Business, Media Technology, and Bioinformatics. According to an independent research visitation, LIACS is one of the foremost computer science departments of the Netherlands. We strive for excellence in a caring institute, where excellence, fun, and diversity go hand in hand. We offer a clear and inviting career path to young and talented scientists with the ambition to grow.
Terms and conditions
We offer a full-time, 1 year term position, with the possibility of renewal based on need, funding and performance. Salary range from € 3974,- to € 5439,- gross per month (pay scale 11 in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities).
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3%), training and career development and sabbatical leave. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break.
Leiden University is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from members of underrepresented groups.
To apply for this vacancy, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, mentioning the vacancy number in the subject of the email. Please ensure that you upload the following additional documents:
- A brief description of your research plan,
- Teaching experience,
- A full CV including a list of publications and a link to your Google Scholar page with H-index,
- PDF’s or links to key publications and PhD thesis
- The names and addresses of at least three persons that can be contacted for reference (who have agreed to be contacted)
Only applications received before 11 July 2022 can be considered.