Newest book Menno Schilthuizen popular in international media
The new book of Professor of Character evolution and biodiversity Menno Schilthuizen gained a lot of media attention. ‘Darwin comes to town – how the urban jungles drives evolution’ was published in English in February and will be available in Dutch soon.
Sex in the city
In ‘Darwin comes to town’, Schilthuizen writes about evolution in one of the newest and most extreme landscapes on earth: the city. He states that these concrete, hot and polluted biotopes are real powerhouses for evolution. Plants and animals adapt astonishingly fast to new conditions, creating species with special characteristics or in some cases even entirely new species.
In the media
Amongst others, National Geographic interviewed Schilthuizen, while several other media placed a review of the book. A journalist of New York Magazine took him on a city walk.
An overview of the media attention:
- National Geographic - In Cities, Wildlife Evolves Astonishingly Fast
- Science - To thrive in rapidly changing urban areas, plants and animals are evolving at astonishing rates
- New York Magazine - The Mice Who Evolved to Live on Cheese Fries: Prowling New York With an Evolutionary Biologist
- New York Post - City mice have nearly evolved into a whole new species
- Financial Times - Darwin Comes to Town by Menno Schilthuizen — the wild side of the city (only for subscribers)
- New Scientist -Our cities are driving evolution and it’s not all bad news (only for subscribers)
- The Times -Darwin Comes to Town: How the Urban Jungle Drives Evolution by Menno Schilthuizen (only for subscribers)
- Mare online - De stad is springlevend
- Trouw - De stad is een bruisend laboratorium voor plant en dier