Japanese 9 Plus
- Start level
- Target level
- Start courses
- September, February
- Language of instruction
This is an online course. To be able to participate in this course, you are advised to use a headset with microphone. To check that everything is working properly, please use: Quick Tech Check
that there is a lot of personal attention and assistance for the course participants. This course is intended for those who have completed the Japanese 8 course or have a comparable level (B1) of Japanese. In this course, the topics covered include: playing and sports, working, water. All skills are covered: speaking, listening, reading and writing. Besides the language, this course also focuses on culture and society.
After completing this course, you will be able to understand the main ideas of complex text on both concrete and abstract topics, including technical discussions in your field of specialization. You can interact with a degree of fluency and spontaneity that makes regular interaction with native speakers quite possible without strain for either party. You can produce clear, detailed text on a wide range of subjects and explain a viewpoint on a topical issue giving the advantages and disadvantages of various options.
The course makes use of the digital learning environment BrightSpace. Within this learning environment you will find the homework and additional learning materials. Course participants are expected to prepare the lessons at home (approximately three hours per lesson).
The course is concluded with a test. Participants who have attended 80% of the lessons and who have successfully completed the final test are awarded a certificate.
- Chūkyū o Manabō (ISBN9784883195091)
Available via Verasia
The course material is not included in the course price. Course participants are required to purchase course materials themselves.
Target group and admission requirements
The course is intended for adults with a higher education diploma, including both students and staff members of Leiden University, as well as interested parties who have no connection to Leiden University. The course is open to any person aged 17 or older with a completed secondary school education.
You can register for this course if you have successfully completed the Japanese 8 course of the Academic Language Centre, or if you can demonstrate in some other way that you possess the required entry level. A basic knowledge of English is required.
- The minimum number of participants for this course is 3, the maximum 7.
- The course load is 56 hours. On request a Course load declaration form can be issued. The student should enquire with their department whether course participation can be converted into credits.
- The holiday periods can be found in the Academic Language Centre's academic calendar.
- If classes are cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances, they will be added on to the end of the course. Please take into account courses may end later than scheduled.
- The course level is indicated with the help of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.