French Conversation B2/C1
- Start level
- Start courses
- Language of instruction
This is a traditional classroom course. The teacher and students are present in the physical classroom at the Leiden location.
The French Conversation course B2/C1 is intended for those who have followed the French 7 or French 8 course or have a comparable level (B2/C1) of French. From the beginning of this course, you will start communicating in French. In this course, speaking skills are practiced on the basis of articles from newspapers and magazines. The topics covered include: society, art, literature, politics and economy. In the lessons, the topics highlighted in the articles are discussed. Attention is paid to pronunciation, expanding vocabulary and, if necessary, grammar. The course aims to enable the students to express themselves fluently and adequately in French.
After completing this course, you will be able to understand the main ideas of complex text on both concrete and abstract topics, including technical discussions in your field of specialisation. You can interact with a degree of fluency and spontaneity that makes regular interaction with native speakers quite possible without strain for either party. You can produce clear, detailed text on a wide range of subjects and explain a viewpoint on a topical issue giving the advantages and disadvantages of various options.
The course makes use of the digital learning environment BrightSpace. Within this learning environment you will find the homework and additional learning materials. Course participants are expected to prepare the lessons at home. (approximately two hours per lesson)
- Vocabulaire Progressif du Français - niveau avancé (B2-C1.1) 3ème édition, 2018. ISBN: 978-2-09-038199-3
The course material is not included in the registration fee. Course participants are required to purchase course materials themselves, well in advance. (for example at 'Talenland' online bookstore)
Target group and admission requirements
This course is intended for highly educated adults, both students and staff members of Leiden University, as well as interested parties with no affiliation with Leiden University.
The French Conversation B2/C1 course is intended for participants who have taken the French 7 or French 8 course or have a comparable level (B2/C1). Other participants should complete an entry test to determine whether their level is appropriate. This test is a computer test. You can do the test at the Language Centre, or you can download the test and do it at home.
- The minimum number of participants for this course is 7, the maximum 18.
- The course load is hours. On request a Course load declaration form can be issued. The student should enquire with their department whether course participation can be converted into credits.
- The holiday periods can be found in the Academic Language Centre's academic calendar.
- If classes are cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances, they will be added on to the end of the course. Please take into account courses may end later than scheduled.
- The course level is indicated with the help of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.