- Target group
- Start level
- Target level
- Language of instruction
- Enrolment and dates available from July 1st
- Enrolment and dates available from November 1st
This is an online course. To be able to participate in this course, you are advised to use a headset with microphone. The following requirements also apply:
To check that everything is working properly, please use: Quick Tech Check
The student’s existing everyday vocabulary is further expanded. Knowledge of grammar is revised and expanded. Various linguistic skills are dealt with: speaking, listening, reading and writing. Students practise giving presentations. Conversation and authentic texts are centered around various scientific and current topics. The student learns approximately 600 new words. Conversation skills are practised with the class as well as in groups and language lab equipment is used. Students are expected to prepare at home; preparation time is estimated at approximately 3 hours per session.
The pace is fast and students are expected to actively participate in and prepare for the lessons.
Upon completing the course, participants will be able to have a conversation on a variety of current topics with relative ease. Participants will also be able to give a basic presentation. The course is concluded with a final test and a certificate (minimum attendance 80%).
- Boer e.a., Nederlands op niveau (nieuwe editie). Uitgeverij Coutinho. ISBN 9789046904411.
- Recommended for self-study: Loeffen e.a., Trefwoord 1, Nordhoff Uitgevers. ISBN 9789001140953.
The course material is not included in the registration fee. Course participants are required to purchase course materials themselves.
Target group and admission requirements
The course is intended for adults with a higher education, including both Leiden University students and staff members and other interested parties with no relation to the University. The course is open to persons aged 17 and older who have completed a secondary school education.
For this course knowledge of the language is required. Those who have a certificate from the previous course can enrol directly. Others are required to check by means of an entrance exam if they have sufficient knowledge to take part. This is a test which you can only do at the Language Centre. Please get in touch with us to make an appointment and we will make a reservation for you: 071 - 5272332 / email@example.com
- The maximum number of participants for this course is 16.
- The course load is 110 hours. On request a Course load declaration form can be issued. The student should enquire with their department whether course participation can be converted into credits.
- The holiday periods can be found in the Academic Language Centre's academic calendar.
- If classes are cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances, they will be added at the end of the courses. Please take into account that courses may end later than scheduled.
- The course level is indicated with the help of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.