Intensive Course Dutch 2
- Start level
- Target level
- March 2023
- Enrolment and dates available from 1 February
- 3.5 weeks with a 4-hour class on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday
- in July and August 3 weeks with a 4-hour class from Monday to Friday
Dutch 2 intensive is offered as a classroom course.
In the classroom course, the teacher and all students are present in the classroom.
This course focuses on basic vocabulary and grammar. However, students are expected to know elementary words and rules of grammar. Various linguistic skills are dealt with in this course: speaking, listening, reading and writing. Texts and topics of conversation focus upon everyday language use. The student learns approximately 600 words. Conversation skills are practised with the class, as well as in groups, and language lab equipment is used. Furthermore, the tutor deals with texts and grammatical topics. Students are expected to prepare at home; preparation time is estimated to be approximately 3 hours per session.
Upon completing the course, participants will be able to hold a basic conversation on everyday subjects, such as where they live, family matters, going out, studies, work, medical topics. Participants will also be able to understand basic texts and conversations. The course is concluded with a final test and a certificate (minimum attendance 80%).
- Boer e.a., Nederlands in gang. Uitgeverij Coutinho. ISBN 9789046905609.
The course material is not included in the registration fee. Course participants are required to purchase course materials themselves.
Target group and admission requirements
This course is intended for adults with higher levels of education, Leiden University students and staff members, as well as other interested parties who are unrelated to Leiden University. Knowledge of Dutch is not required for enrolment in this course, but basic knowledge of both English (at level A2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages) and Roman script is required. This is a fast-paced course. Students are expected to prepare each lesson and to actively participate in each class.
For third-party payments an intake is required. Please state clearly that it is for an intensive summer/winter course. To make an appointment, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The maximum number of participants for this course is 14.
- The course load is 110 hours. On request a Course load declaration form can be issued. The student should enquire with their department whether course participation can be converted into credits.
- The holiday periods can be found in the Academic Language Centre's academic calendar.
- If classes are cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances, they will be added at the end of the courses. Please take into account that courses may end later than scheduled.
- The course level is indicated with the help of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.