- Target group
- Starting level
- Target level
- Start courses
- Language of instruction
This is an online course. To be able to participate in this course, you are advised to use a headset with microphone. The following requirements also apply:
To check that everything is working properly, please use: Quick Tech Check
Arabic 8 Plus is a course for small groups with a maximum of 8 participants. This means there is plenty of room for personal attention and supervision of the students. This is a language acquisition course which requires prior knowledge of the language. All skills are addressed in the course: speaking, listening, writing and reading. In addition, the course also focuses on vocabulary and grammar. Making use of practical situations, participants can practice both informal and professional language use. Furthermore, society and culture are also covered. You should take into account that every lesson involves a preparation time of approximately three hours.
The course is concluded with a written test. A certificate is awarded if the test is completed successfully and the participant has attended 80% of the lessons.
- Wightwick, J. en Mahmoud Gaafar, Mastering Arabic 2 (second edition, with audio and video ‘free-to-access’online), unit 11 - 14 ISBN 9781352008500 or ISBN 9780781814058.
- Wightwick, J. en Mahmoud Gaafar, Mastering Arabic 2 Activity Book, second edition, Unit 11- 14.
The course material is not included in the registration fee. Course participants are required to purchase course materials themselves.
Target group and admission requirements
The course is intended for adults with a higher education diploma, including both students and staff members of Leiden University, as well as interested parties who have no connection to Leiden University. The course is open to any person aged 17 or older with a completed secondary school education. Participants who have successfully completed the Arabic 7 course of the Academic Language Centre, or who can prove in some other way that they possess the required entry level can sign up.
- The minimum number of participants for this course is 3, the maximum 8.
- The course load is hours. On request a Course load declaration form can be issued. The student should enquire with their department whether course participation can be converted into credits.
- The holiday periods can be found in the Academic Language Centre's academic calendar.
- If classes are cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances, they will be added on to the end of the course. Please take into account courses may end later than scheduled.
- The course level is indicated with the help of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.