Series of events for PhD candidates
PhD organizations LEO and PhDoc would like to invite you to a series of unique events for PhD candidates of Leiden University.
LEO and PhDoc both think there are too little opportunities at Leiden University for PhD candidates of all backgrounds and scientific disciplines to meet each other and share experiences. Therefore, we applied for the Van Bergen Fund. With their support, we will organize five unique events throughout the coming seasons. The aim of this project is to promote a sense of community amongst PhDs in Leiden through discussions about integration, diversity, and intercultural awareness (and drinks, snacks and fun :)). The activities have all been designed to be fun and thought-provoking, while discussing various cultural aspects that PhDs in the Netherlands will encounter. This is a great opportunity to meet peers outside of the bubble of your institute or faculty!
All PhD candidates of Leiden University, whether internally or externally appointed, Dutch or from abroad.
What events will be organized?
On the bottom of this page you can find the event pages of this series. These might change a bit over the year, so keep an eye on this website and our facebook pages. The events include:
- “Cruise with your peers through Leiden" - September 29th @ 15.45. Leiden’s old and beautiful city center is the perfect window to get to know Dutch culture, values and history. Notice intercultural differences and become surprised by how cultural diverse Leiden actually is. And get to know your fellow PhDs!
- “The Sinterklaas Debate!” – November 30th @ 19.00. Sinterklaas is a yearly celebratory day in the Netherlands and an important Dutch tradition. Aminata Cairo, a specialist on diversity policy, will lead an insightful discussion about this Dutch tradition. Share your ideas during this open and safe event.
- “End of winter depression and high stress levels!” – February 2018. Do you ever wonder about your competences? At one time or another, nearly every PhD candidate does. During this event we will discuss the imposter syndrome and its connection to gender.
- “ Visit to Anne Frank’s house” – April 2018. Travel back in time, in the house of Anne Frank in Amsterdam where she was hiding from the Nazis during the Second World War.
- “Around the Netherlands in 80 minutes!” – June 2018. Visit The Hague, the major political center of the Netherlands and get to know Dutch politics and the Faculty of Governance and Global Affairs!
Mark your calendars and stay tuned for further details on future events. Do you have questions or do you want us to keep you up to date? Send an e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Participation in University sponsored programs is an important part of your time at Leiden University. For those of you who attend at least four of the events we will provide you with a certificate of participation.