Master's Open Day
- 2 November 2018
- Several locations in Leiden and The Hague
Register and discover which master suits you best!
Are you thinking about studying in The Netherlands and are you wondering what Leiden University has to offer? Come visit the Master's Open Day on Friday 2 November from 9:00-20:00 hrs. and find out which of our master's programmes suits you best!
Visit us and:
- attend presentations by the different programmes.
- visit the information fairs, and ask lecturers, students, alumni and study advisers all your questions.
- discover Leiden and The Hague as one of the best student cities right in the heart of Europe in the Netherlands.
Information per Faculty
- In addition to presentations from the various faculties, there are also general presentations for international students. The presentation "Welcome to Leiden University for International Students" presents the main reasons for choosing Leiden University. International students get acquainted with student life here, but also with practical issues such as admission and registration.
- This presentation takes place at:
- Academy Building in Leiden at 9:15 and 11:15
- Wijnhaven Building in The Hague at 15.15
- In the Academy building you can also ask all your questions regarding admission and registration, talk to international Master's students and ask other important questions you have about following a master at Leiden University.
Are you thinking about studying one of Leiden’s Archaeology master’s programmes? Visit the Master’s Open Day and find out more about the programme of your interest. We look forward to welcoming you!
Master and Research Master programme information session (13.15 - 14.15 hrs.)
During the presentation you will find out more about our faculty, research and education. This session also offers information on important practical matters such as the application procedure, course registration and housing.
Student’s & Alumnus experience (14.15 hrs.)
What is it like to be a Master student Archaeology at our faculty? And what will your career look like after graduation? Curious? Sign up for this presentation!
Information market & Faculty tour (14.45 – 16.15 hrs.)
During the Master’s Open Day the Faculty of Archaeology organises an Information market where you get the chance to get answers to your personal questions by lecturers, study coordinators and current students. Find out more about the MA programme of your interest and the various specialisations.
Also join us for a tour on the faculty building. During this short tour we will show you all the facilities such as lecture rooms, study rooms and our top-notch laboratories.
(almost) Ready with your bachelor programme! What’s next? Orientate on a Master programme in the heart of The Hague, at Leiden University. We will be pleased to welcome you on Friday 2 November at our Masters’ Open Day in Wijnhaven, Turfmarkt 99 in The Hague.
The programme will start at 14.15 on the Spanish Steps with a general presentation on ‘Studying at Leiden University in The Hague’. We will tell you what to expect of Leiden University .. in The Hague. We will explain the advantages for your future if you decide to study in The Hague. Besides we will give you advice about e.g. housing and what the city has to offer. In short, practical information that will help you when The Hague is still unknown to you. You can also attend the presentation at 16.15.
The master presentations will start at 15.15.
On this day in The Hague, you can learn more about the following masters:
- Crisis and Security Management
- International Relations and Diplomacy
- Management of the Public Sector with the following specialisations: Strategy, Advice and Change management (in Dutch) Public Affairs (in Dutch)
- Public Administration, one information round per track: Economics and Governance, International and European Governance en Public Management
- Leiden Leadership Programme
- Political Science with the following specialisations: Dutch Politics (Dutch) en International Organisation
Between 15.00 and 18.45 you can visit our Meet & Greet on the second floor. Here you will find a.o. student ambassadors and study coordinators/advisors to answer your questions. The study associations will also be present.
Every hour a tour will start through our new Wijnhaven building. During the tour you will have the opportunity to ask students about, e.g., how they experience their study.
We hope to see you on 2 November!
Are you thinking about studying one of Leiden’s Humanities master’s programmes? Visit the Master’s Open Day and find out more about the programme of your interest. We look forward to welcoming you!
Studying Humanities in Leiden information session (11.15 - 12.00)
If you are a Dutch student with a degree from another university or an international student then this session will provide you with all the information you need about studying a Humanities MA at Leiden University. The session offers information on important practical matters and you will also learn more about social life, including the Humanities study associations.
Tour of Humanities buildings (12.15 - 13.00)
Join us for a tour of the Humanities buildings! During this short tour we will show you all of the Humanities buildings and you will learn more about the history of these buildings. The tour will also take you to the University Library and the PJ Veth building.
Meet & Greet (14.15 - 16.30)
During the Master’s Open Day the Faculty of Humanities organises a Meet & Greet where you will get the chance to get answers to your personal questions and enjoy a free drink. Just a few steps away from the other buildings, you will find representatives from our programmes, including lecturers, study coordinators and current students.
Programme Information sessions (13.15 - 17.00)
Find out more about the programme(s) of your interest by attending the information session(s).
Leiden Law School will also participate in the Master’s Open Day on 2 November. This day is all about your next step: choose the master that suits you! On the Master’s Open Day you can orient yourself and get informed about all the legal and criminological masters that the faculty has to offer. There is plenty to discover and compare.
On the Master’s Open Day you can:
- Attend informational presentations, during which you can ask questions to teachers and master coordinators
- Visit the master information market from 10:00 to 17:00 in the restaurant to talk to study advisers, career coaches and student master ambassadors of each study
Please note: the Advandced Master International/European Tax Law will not be participating in the presentation of the Advanced Masters of Law.
Want to follow a master’s programme at the Leiden University Medical Center (LUMC)? Come visit the Master’s Open Day of Leiden University on 2 November and discover everything you need to know about our masters.
During this day you can attend presentations of our master’s programmes Biomedical Sciences, Vitality and Ageing and Pharmacy. During the information market you can chat with or ask questions to study advisors, current students and alumni of these masters and the master’s programme Medicine. This will give you a good idea of our masters and their career opportunities. And all that while enjoying a delicious Master Muffin!
Next to the activities at the LUMC, there is also plenty of opportunity to visit the university and the city.
Are you visiting the Faculty of Science during the Master’s Open Day? Please read the additional information below.
Free shuttle bus Leiden Central train station – Main entrance Faculty of Science
Leiden University offers you free transportation between Leiden Central (train station) and the main entrance of the Faculty of Science. Shuttles run between 11.15 – 17.30 hours, transfer time is approximately 10 minutes.
Accessibility Faculty of Science
Presentation studying at the Faculty of Science
During the presentation you will find out more about our institutes, research and education. Vice-dean Prof. Han de Winde will also discuss practical matters like application and housing. Are you curious about what our Faculty has to offer? Sign up!
Science Career Service
Start your career at Leiden Science! If you would like to have more information about the career perspectives of a specific master’s specialisation, please visit the Career Service presentation.
Are you visiting a presentation of Biology, Bio-Pharmaceutical Sciences and Life Science & Technology? Please note that the Sitterzaal is located near the registration desk.
The Astronomy, Bio-Pharmaceutical Sciences, Biology, Physics, Chemistry and LST programmes are offering lab tours, directly following the programme presentations. Starting point of the labtours is the information stand of the organizing programme.
Welcome to the Master’s Open Day at the Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences!
The programme consists of a range of information sessions, as well as several meet and greet sessions with (former) students and staff.
Below, you can find additional information about the programmes for Psychology, Political Science, Education and Child Studies, and Cultural Anthropology and Development Sociology.
- From 11.15 to 12:15 there is a Q & A session especially for Pre-master’s students in the Central Hall. We recommend that you attend the general information session “How to plan your Master’s programme to prepare for a career?” before going to one of the specialisation sessions.
- From 14.00 to 15.30 (former) students and staff will all be on hand to answer any questions you have about the different master’s specialisations.
- Due to planned construction on the train tracks between The Hague and Leiden, all information sessions of Political Science will take place in Leiden, in the Pieter de la Court building.
- The general information session ‘Studying Political Science in Leiden is intended for students who are new in Leiden.
- From 12:00 to 13:30 a meet and greet is organised in the Central hall, where you can talk to students and study advisors and ask any question you may have. Through VR glasses you can even see how our campus in the Hague looks like!
- At 14:15 the information session on Dutch Politics (Nederlandse Politiek) and International Organisation takes place in Leiden but can at the same time be watched on our Campus in The Hague through video live stream. The study advisor and students will be also present there to answer your questions.
Education and Child Studies:
- All information sessions of Education and Child Studies take place in the Poort building (het Poortgebouw), just 3 minutes’ walk from the Faculty building. During the day you can always come to the Faculty building to see the actual building where you will be studying.
- Especially for international students there is a general information session in English at 11:15, followed by a session with more specific information about the different master’s specialisations.
- The information market in the Poort building is from 10.00 to 15.00 hrs.; here you can ask more detailed questions about your preferred specialisation.
Cultural Anthropology and Development Sociology:
- Two information sessions are scheduled in a row. We recommend you to come to both in order to get a good idea of the Master’s possibilities and hear students’ experiences. After the information sessions there is a meet and greet lunch with students and lecturers.
Not enough time to visit presentations in Leiden and The Hague? You can follow several livestreams during the Master's Open Day on location in The Hague or Leiden. The professor/lecturer is not physically present in the lecture hall, but students of the relevant programme will be present to answer your questions. You can sign up for the Live Streams via the registration form of the Master’s Open Day.
Discover student cities Leiden and The Hague
- Free time between presentations? Experience the beautiful cities of Leiden and The Hague! There are many things to discover, see and experience. These are our favorites hotspots in Leiden and The Hague you really need to know about. Coffee, tea, snacks and sandwiches are also available at our faculties. You can even order a Master’s Open Day sandwich at some faculties.
CityTour Leiden: Every hour between 10:15 and 16:15 a Leiden City tour starts from the Academy Building (Rapenburg 73). Walk along and visit the most popular student places. You can sign up for the City Tour via the registration form of the Master’s Open Day.
Practical Information Master's Open Day
We strongly advise everyone to use public transport to travel to Leiden and The Hague, as parking spaces in the city centre are very scarse. All Leiden venues are within walking distance of Leiden Central train station (the furthest is only 20 minutes away). The Hague Campus is within 5 minutes walking distance of The Hague Central train station.
- Make sure there are no delays or cancellations on your route and visit travel website 9292.nl before travelling.
- Click here for the walking route to the different faculty's (from Leiden Central Station and The Hague Central Station
For those who plan take the car: parking is easy and affordable on the Haagweg car park. While slightly out of the centre, it does have a free city shuttle bus that will bring you to the centre in a matter of minutes. At the end of the day you can either simply walk back to the Haagweg, or phone the shuttle to come pick you up (contact them at +31 (0)71-5120017).
It can be busy at the Haagweg, and you might have to wait a while for the shuttle, so you could also consider parking at one of the other locations throughout the city.
Parking space Leiden
1. Haagweg: Haagweg 8, 2311 AA Leiden
2. Centrum Morspoort: Bloemfonteinstraat 2, 2312 ZD Leiden
3. Langegracht: Langegracht 3, 2312 NV Leiden
4. Maliebaan: Navigate to the middle of the Maliebaan
5. Lammermarkt: Lammermarkt 9, 2312 CK Leiden
Parking The Hague
For those who plan take the car: parking costs are €4,- per hour at the parking lots around the The Hague Campus. Because these parking spaces are very scares we strongly advise everyone to use public transport to travel to The Hague.
Parking space The Hague
1. Q-Park - Rijnstraat 8, 2515XP Den Haag
2. Parkeergarage Turfmarkt, Schedeldoekshaven 100, 2511 Den Haag
3. Q-Park (Helicon), Zwarteweg 40, 2511 VS Den Haag
4. Parkeergarage Den Haag Centraal, Kon. Julianaplein 10, 2595 Den Haag
5. Q-Park Centraal Station New Babylon, Pr. Irenestraat 1, 2595 BD Den Haag
Most of these parking lots are within 5 minutes walking distance from the The Hague Campus.
If you have any questions during the Open Day about the programme, the route, the presentations or anything else, please contact the Study Line (+31 (0)71- 527 1111). Do you already have questions? You can call during office hours (9:00 to 17:00 hrs local time in The Netherlands) or send an email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are happy to answer your questions.
1. I haven’t received an entrance ticket. What should I do?
If you haven’t received an entrance ticket in your inbox, check that it isn’t in your spam folder. If it’s not there, click here to receive a new e-mail with your entrance ticket.
2. Why do I have to have an entrance ticket?
Because the Open Day is so popular, it’s important to register in advance so that you are sure of a place at the presentation of your choice. When you register, you will be sent an entrance ticket which gives you priority over people who decide to come to the Open Day on the spur of the moment (without having registered first).
3. I’ve deleted my entrance ticket by mistake. What can I do now?
Click here to receive a new e-mail with your entrance ticket.
4. Do I have to print out my entrance ticket and bring it with me, or is it enough that I can show the ticket on my telephone?
You can also show your ticket on your telephone.
5. I want to change my programme. How can I do that?
You can change your programme via the link in your entrance ticket. Please note that you will then be sent a new entrance ticket (this will appear, also as an image on screen, once you have registered).
Here you can find the Master's Open Day locations.