Course | Summer Programme
Online Summer Programme: Preventing, Detecting and Responding to Violent Extremism
- Monday 16 August 2021 - Wednesday 18 August 2021
This online advanced summer programme focuses on the field of preventing, detecting and responding to violent extremism and gives insight in the opportunities and challenges of various approaches.
The latest dilemmas and trends in the field of preventing violent extremism, various views on radicalisation, de-radicalisation and re-socialisation, the opportunities and challenges of various approaches, and the various roles and perspectives of stakeholders active in the field are all covered in this programme.
Through lectures, workshops and panel discussions the participants will exchange ideas and experiences with practioners and researchers.
Confirmed speakers for 2021
- Bart Schuurman, Associate Professor, Institute of Security and Global Affairs, Leiden University
- Tahir Abbas, Associate Professor, Institute of Security and Global Affairs, Leiden University
More information will follow soon! For any questions please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
This online summer programme, organised by the Centre for Professional Learning of Leiden University and the International Centre for Counter-Terrorism – The Hague (ICCT), provides insight into the opportunities and challenges of various approaches to prevent, detect and respond to violent extremism. In an intensive three-day course, participants will meet academics, experts, policy makers and practitioners and discuss the latest research insights, trends and dilemmas in the field of preventing violent extremism and how these dilemmas influence the effectiveness of various approaches in practice. Furthermore, participants will explore the various roles and limitations of different stakeholders and approaches and how these relate to each other in their joint efforts to prevent violent extremism.
How is violent extremism viewed? How is detection and prevention approached and shaped in policies and practice? During our online summer programme practitioners and researchers will explore the different academic views on these questions, including critical perspectives.
After completion of the summer programme, participants will have:
- Insights in the latest dilemmas and trends in the field of radicalization and preventing violent extremism;
- Insights in the opportunities and challenges of various approaches to violent extremism and its detection and prevention;
- Proper understanding of the various organisations and stakeholders active in the field of preventing radicalisation and violent extremism and their various roles, perspectives, interests and limitations;
- Perspectives on how to responsibly and ethically design and select policy interventions aimed at detecting, preventing and responding to violent extremism;
- Reflected on one’s own role and position in the field of preventing radicalisation and violent extremism;
- Expanded one’s network of international experts in the field of preventing violent extremism.
This advanced summer programme on Preventing, Detecting and Responding to Violent Extremim is meant for international as well as Dutch professionals that already work in the field of preventing violent extremism. For example:
- Practitioners in the field of preventing radicalisation and violent extremism;
- Policy makers (international, national and regional);
- (Academic) researchers;
- Professionals aiming to expand their understanding of the challenges of preventing violent extremism.
The registration fee is €495,-. This fee grants you access to interactive lectures, workshops and panel discussions as well as an international network of other participants active in this field.
The online Advanced Summer Programme will take place from 16 – 18 August 2021.
The Centre for Professional Learning is situated in the city of peace and justice, The Hague, in the Netherlands. If you are thinking about joining our programme from another location (welcome!), please consider our time zone (CEST). When in doubt about the feasibility of participating, you can always contact us to discuss the specific schedule of the programme.
Please contact email@example.com for more information.