Course | Online Summer Programme
Online Summer Programme: Preventing, Detecting and Responding to Violent Extremism
- Monday 17 August 2020 - Wednesday 19 August 2020
This online summer programme focuses on the field of preventing, detecting and responding to violent extremism and gives insight in the opportunities and challenges of various approaches.
Dilemmas and trends in the field of violent extremism, various views on radicalisation, the opportunities and challenges of various approaches, and roles and perspectives of stakeholders active in the field are covered in this programme. Through lectures and Q&A’s the participants will exchange ideas and experiences with researchers and other participants.
For any other questions or more information on the programme please also e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Preventing, detecting and responding to violent extremism are ‘wicked problems’ – a dynamic tangle of complex issues, a wide range of stakeholders and no clean-cut, obvious solutions. Tackling this problem requires a networked, multidisciplinary approach where all actors work together in a joint and coordinated effort. From security services, policy makers, practitioners and academics to youth workers, teachers, parents and other actors; all stakeholders have their own role to play. Each stakeholder, in turn, works from the premise of their own specific perspectives, authorities, interests and limitations. In order to ensure effective prevention measures, strengthen public resilience and increase on-time signaling and addressing of radicalisation, it is vital to understand the position and role of various partners and their approaches.
This advanced summer programme, organised by the Centre for Professional Learning of Leiden University and the International Centre for Counter-Terrorism – The Hague (ICCT), provides insight into the opportunities and challenges related to violent extremism. In an interactive three-day online course, participants will be given lectures by academics and interact with other participants and practitioners. They will discuss research insights, trends and dilemmas in the field of preventing violent extremism and how these dilemmas influence the effectiveness of various approaches in practice.
The standard registration fee is €495
After completion of the summer programme, participants will have:
- Insights in the dilemmas and trends in the field of preventing violent extremism and radicalisation
- Insights in the opportunities and challenges of various approaches to dealing with violent extremism, with particular attention to extremist narratives online;
- Understanding of the stakeholders active in the field of preventing radicalisation and violent extremism and their various roles, perspectives, interests and limitations;
- Reflecting on one’s own role and position in the field of preventing radicalisation and violent extremism;
This advanced summer programme on Preventing, Detecting and Responding to Violent Extremim is meant for international as well as Dutch professionals that already work in the field of preventing violent extremism. For example:
- Practitioners in the field of preventing radicalisation and violent extremism;
- Policy makers (international, national and regional);
- (Academic) researchers;
- Professionals aiming to expand their understanding of the challenges of violent extremism.