Arts and Culture | Online event
Sound, Technology and Listening - Artistic Research at the Institute of Sonology
- Tuesday 14 April 2020
- Join us at https://smart.newrow.com/#/room/sxm-079
ARC session April
This ARC session will display the research of four students of the master's programme of the Institute of Sonology at the Royal Conservatoire in The Hague, while two students will act as respondents. Within the context of the research master’s at the Institute of Sonology a wide range of perspectives is unfolded in the form of individual projects. Students look into, among other domains, the role of sound in music and our everyday environment, the development of novel tools for sound production, the study of the sensorial aspects of sound and their possible compositional implementations.
Eunji Kim (South Korea), whose work focuses on the integration of algorithmic composition and computer gaming strategies.
Tony Guarino (USA), whose project “Percussive Imagination” deals with the realm of percussion in everyday life, accounting for how our sense of place is informed by “the ‘not-yet-musical’ collisions that saturate us daily”.
Jad Saliba (Lebanon), who re-appropriates analogue radio technologies to create malleable sonic artefacts from a topography of broadcasted local radio stations.
Guzmán Calzada (Uruguay), who deals with ways of expanding the aural conception of what a room is and how it operates, understanding acoustic spaces as energetic places and locations with inherent autobiographies.
Giulia Francavilla (Italy) and Aleksandar Koruga (Croatia) will act as respondents. In their projects, they are respectively investigating the nature of immersive listening and developing a reinterpretation of Iannis Xenakis’s Symbolic Music theory. The session will alternate presentations with moments of discussion and exchange, also involving the attending audience.
This ARC session has been convened by Gabriel Paiuk, Faculty Staff at the Institute of Sonology and PhD Candidate at ACPA.
*** This session was to take place at Club Korzo. Due to the Corona-virus this is no longer possible. You can join this ARC session online! ***
How to join the session
- Go to https://smart.newrow.com/#/room/sxm-079
- The live session can only be accessed through up-to-date versions of Chrome, Firefox and Edge browsers.
- When entering the session you need to authorize the use of your microphone and camera. As you first access the live session your microphone will be muted and the camera will be off. You then need to turn both on to be able to take part of the session, although you will still remain muted throughout the presentations.
- When the discussion with the audience takes place, the moderator will activate the users in the audience so you are able to comment or pose questions.
Giulia Francavilla [Respondent] - open discussion including the audience
[15 minute Interval]
Aleksandar Koruga [Respondent] - open discussion including the audience