Save the date Symposium Empirical Legal Studies (ELS)
- Friday 22 November 2019
2311 GW Leiden
The main language of the conference is Dutch, but giving a presentation in English is possible.
On 22 November 2019, the ELS Platform is organising a research symposium on 'Synergy between ELS and classical legal research'. PhD students and other young researchers are invited to present their research and the empirical method they use. Seize this opportunity to learn about other legal research using empirical methods, to exchange ideas, to respond to each other's research and to get feedback from researchers who are experienced in ELS. During two sessions, a platform will be offered to researchers:
- at the start of a PhD trajectory;
- currently carrying out a study and are facing substantive and practical challenges;
- experienced in legal-empirical research and currently working on setting up a (eligible) follow-up.
The presentations will be followed by feedback from experts who are experienced researchers in the ELS field. They will reflect on the research plans, approaches and findings, and can answer any questions young researchers may have. The symposium will start and end with key note speeches by Maartje van der Woude (Leiden University) and Kees van den Bos (Utrecht University).
- 12.00 Lunch and opening by Willem van Boom
- 12.45 Keynote: Kees van den Bos ‘Waargenomen onrechtvaardigheid en radicalisering’
- 13.15 Presentations Session I
- 14.45 Coffee/tea
- 15.00 Presentations Session II
- 16.30 Keynote: Maartje van der Woude ‘De (wissel)werking van het recht op lokaal, nationaal en Europees niveau: Een mixed methods studie naar intra-Schengen border games’
- 17.00 Drinks
Researchers who wish to give a presentation at the symposium are invited to send a written pitch of a maximum of 350 words to ELS@law.leidenuniv.nl, by 1 October 2019, briefly introducing your research theme and methods. A selection of the proposals will be made before 15 October.
You are welcome to attend the symposium (free of charge). However, please register before 1 November via: https://www.paoleiden.nl/cursusaanbod/2019/symposium-els/.
For further questions feel free to turn to mw. Ekaterina Pannebakker (Leiden University, Institute for Private law), mw. Stijn Voskamp (Leiden University, Institute for Private law), dhr. Wouter de Zanger (Utrecht University, Utrecht Centre for Accountability and Liability Law), via ELS@law.leidenuniv.nl.