Conference | Summer School
ECA Summer School on Argumentation
- Thursday 20 June 2019 - Saturday 22 June 2019
2311 BD Leiden
- 001, 002
The summer school is organized by the European network for Argumentation and Public PoLicY analysis (APPLY; CA 17132), ECA 2019 and the Leiden University Centre for Linguistics. Its program is entirely devoted to argumentation theory and will introduce PhD students to cutting-edge research in argumentation theory from different theoretical angles. We have four lecturers coming from different backgrounds:
- Catarina Dutilh Novaes - VU Amsterdam, the Netherlands (philosophy)
- Dale Hample - University of Maryland, USA (rhetorical communication)
- Henrike Jansen - Leiden University, the Netherlands (pragma-dialectics)
- Steve Oswald - University of Fribourg, Switzerland (cognitive pragmatics)
Thursday and Friday (20 and 21 June) will be dedicated to expository lectures. On Saturday morning (22 June) an assignment will be prepared in groups and discussed afterwards with the lecturers. Relevant reading material will be sent to participants at least 3 weeks before the summer school begins. All classes, seminars, and materials will be in English; active participation is required. Students can get a certificate on the condition of full attendance and active participation in the whole program.
The summer school is open to PhD students and postdoc researchers who work on argumentation or who have a particular interest in argumentation and use argumentation theory in their work within the fields of discourse analysis, communication, linguistics, psychology and other related disciplines. Please note that the summer school has a limited number of places (40 participants) and that we cannot guarantee that applying for the summer school automatically grants access to it. In case of high application numbers priority will be given to PhD students.
Admission fee is EUR 115 EUR and includes participation in the summer school, tea & coffee, 3 lunches, 1 dinner and a boat trip.
If you are a student from a COST Full Member Country, a COST Cooperating Member or from a COST Near Neighbour Country (see below for the relevant countries), you can apply for a bursary of max. 500 EUR provided by the APPLY COST Action. The exact value of the bursary depends on expected costs for travel and accommodation; there is a limited amount of bursaries available.
The application procedure is as follows:
- PhD students must send their application, including CV, official proof of PhD student status (from supervisor/university) and a brief motivation letter (max. 1 A4) to Catarina Dutilh Novaes (firstname.lastname@example.org) with ‘ECA Summer School application’ as subject of the email.
- PhD students who want to apply for an APPLY-bursary should include in their application a budget estimation and send the application to Gabrijela Kišiček and Catarina Dutilh.
- Post-docs are required to send their CV and a brief motivation letter (max. 1 A4) to Catarina Dutilh Novaes with the title ‘ECA Summer School application’.
Please take notice of the deadline: 1 March 2019. You will receive notification of acceptance or rejection before 15 March, as well as information concerning the APPLY-bursaries; acceptance notifications will include information on how to register.
Please note: the deadline has been prolonged to 15 March.
Leiden University, Faculty of Humanities, Lipsius Building, Cleveringaplaats 1, Leiden, the Netherlands. Information about how to reach Leiden is available here.
The ECA conference in Groningen can easily be reached from Leiden by train (2,5 hours; a direct connection is available from Leiden central station each hour).
More information about the ECA conference in Groningen is available here.
Please note that submission is closed. Registration is still possible, before February 28 (early bird fee) or April 15 (regular fee).
For any inquiries, please contact Henrike Jansen.
COST Full Member Countries: Albania, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Moldova, Montenegro, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, United Kingdom and the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia.
COST Cooperating Member: Israel
COST Near Neighbour Countries: Algeria, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Egypt, Georgia, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, the Palestinian Authority, Russia, Syria, Tunisia and Ukraine.