Rule of Law in European member states: a common responsibility
- Judith Sargentini
- Thursday 9 May 2019
- Kamerlingh Onnes Building
2311 ES Leiden
Judith Sargentini, Member of the European Parliament, will deliver the 9th Europa Lecture on 9 May 2019 (Europe Day) in the Lorentz Room of the Law Faculty at Leiden University. The Europa Institute is pleased that Judith Sargentini has accepted its invitation to speak in Leiden.
Judith Sargentini is a Member of the European Parliament since 2009. She represents the Dutch Green Party and she is the vice-chair of the civil liberties committee on behalf of the Green/EFA group. Based on a report by Judith Sargentini, the European Parliament adopted a resolution in September 2018 which recommended triggering Article 7 TEU against Hungary, and which urged the Council to find the existence of a clear risk for the European Union’s fundamental values.
Stefaan Van den Bogaert, Professor of European Law and Director of the Europa Institute: ‘We are looking forward to Judith Sargentini sharing her extensive experience with, and knowledge of, protection of the rule of law at a time when this topic is more important than ever for the European Union.’
The Europa Lecture, organised by the Europa Institute, is an opportunity for leading figures from European politics to give their vision on the opportunities and challenges facing Europe.
- Heinz Fischer, former President of Austria
- Jeroen Dijsselbloem, former President of the Eurogroup
- Margrethe Vestager, European Commissioner for Competition
- Jonathan Mance, Lord Justice at the UK Supreme Court
- Petro Poroshenko, President of Ukraine
- Herman Van Rompuy, former President of the European Council
- Alexander Italianer, Secretary-General of the European Commission
- Radosław Sikorski, former Minister of Foreign Affairs in Poland
Attendance is by invitation only.
More information about the Europa Institute.