Lova Study Day 2019: Gender Moves
- Friday 10 May 2019
- Pieter de la Court
2333 AK Leiden
Celebrating 40 Years Lova
This year it is 40 years ago that LOVA was established, which we want to celebrate with a seminar around the theme “Gender Moves”. We invite you to join us on May 10, 2019, at Leiden University, to explore how gender is enacted and reproduced in movement and how gendered movement contributes to dismantling and/or reinforcing ideas and norms about gender.
Register at email@example.com. Entrance is free, but we ask for a voluntary donation.
09:00 – 09:30 Coffee/tea and Registration
09:30 – 09:45 Welcome by Dr. Jasmijn Rana (Leiden University and LOVA)
09:45 – 10:45 Keynote Lecture by Dr. Alex Channon (University of Brighton): Martial arts, embodiment, and the subversion of gender.
10:45 – 11:00 Coffee/tea break
11:00 – 13:00 Panel session 1: Sport
- Kathrine van den Bogert (Radboud University Nijmegen) – Girls only? Moving boundaries of gender and sexuality in girls’ football in the Schilderswijk, the Netherlands
- Caroline Zieringer – En-Gendering Space: Female recreational boxing in South-East London, embodied knowledge and space.
- Amisah Zenabu Bakuri (University of Amsterdam) – “Staying healthy and looking sexy”: physical activities, sexuality and well-being in the Ghanaian and Somali Diaspora in the Netherlands
- Mara Lin Visser – Roller Girls: Performance of Gender in the Roller Derby Community of Barcelona. A visual ethnography in process
13:00 – 14:00 Lunch break
LOVA General Members Assembly (ALV)
14:00 – 15:30 Panel session 2: Dance
- Marion Quesne (Université François Rabelais de Tours) – Lindy Hop: transgression or conformity?
- Anita Datta – Dancing Transwomen, Smoking Lesbians, and the Diasporic Femme: Reflections on Explicit vs. Everyday Performances of Queer Feminine Bodies in Kolkata
- Krizia Nardini – Twerking classes and feminism in Barcelona, a critical auto-ethnographic account
15:30 – 15:45 Coffee/tea break
15:45 – 16:45 Keynote Lecture by Dr. Kathy Davis (Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam): Dancing tango: hyper-heterosexuality, queering, and other subversive moves
16:45 – 17:30 Final Discussion
17:30 – 18:30 LOVA Marjan Rens Master’s Thesis Award Ceremony and Drinks