Alumni Event | University ceremony
- 8 February 2019
- The ceremony will start at 15.00 hrs precisely. You are kindly requested to be seated by 14.50 hrs.
2311 SP Leiden
On 8 February it is 444 years ago that Leiden University was founded. This special anniversary calls for a special celebration. On the Dies Natalis we will open this festive year, with a unique and historical addition to the traditional procession of professors. The whole year, we will celebrate our anniversary with the residents of Leiden and The Hague. In, with and for these two cities.
The Dies lectures will be delivered by:
- Professor Sybille Lammes, Professor of New Media and Digital Culture. The lecture is entitled: "Huizinga revisited: Play in the digital age"
- Professor Simone van der Hof, Professor of Law and Digital Technologies. Her lecture is entitled: "Growing up in the digital world: look, look, look ... and buy!"
During the ceremony, honorary doctorates will be conferred on:
- Professor Melissa Little, cell biologist (Melbourne). She will receive this awardfor her exceptional research on potential regenerative therapies for chronic kidney diseases, and her research in the field of systems biology of kidney development. Honorary Supervisor is Professor A.J. Rabelink, professor of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine. Dean of this Faculty is Professor Pancras Hogendoorn.
- Professor Robbert Dijkgraaf, mathematical physicist (Princeton). He is receiving the award for his application of topological concepts from mathematics to quantum field theories from physics. Honorary Supervisor is Professor Eric Eliel, professor of Quantum optics, Faculty of Science. Professor Geert de Snoo is this Faculty’s Dean.
Students of the Practicum Musicae programme of the Academy of Creative and Performing Arts (ACPA) will perform the musical interludes.
Close of the meeting
The ceremony will be drawn to a close by Professor Carel Stolker, Rector Magnificus and President of the Executive Board.
During the reception after the ceremony there will be the opportunity to congratulate the members of the Executive Board, the Dies lecturers, the Honorary Doctors, the Honorary Supervisors, and the deans and their partners. The reception is expected to begin at around 17.00 hrs.
Do you want to attend this event?
Please register no later than 4 FebruaryRegistration form
Dies Natalis in The Hague
It is also possible to follow the ceremony in The Hague: there will be a live broadcast at the Spanish Steps of the Wijnhaven Building.