Launch of photographer Saiful Huq Omi's books on the Rohingyas
- Wednesday 12 September 2018
2511 DP The Hague
- Spaanse Trap
You are invited to the launch of Saiful Huq Omi's books "136, I am Rohingya" & "136, I think Rohingya" at Leiden University in The Hague.
Award-winning photographer, filmmaker and activist Saiful Huq Omi presents his books about the Rohingyas - stateless, refugees, the victims of genocide and crimes against humanity - who have over many decades endured untold hardship and persecution in Myanmar and beyond. Saiful Huq Omi has followed the Rohingya issue since 2008, documenting their stories in different parts of the world. These books present his best work.
"The photographic production honours the mission of strengthening the identity of the Rohingya community, that is being threatened. Ultimately, it shows an incredible commitment to the fight of these people, and a level of humanity, so necessary in these times of turbulence. "
- Tomás Ojea Quintana, Former UN Special Rapporteur for the Situation of Human Rights in Myanmar
Present at the launch will be Saiful Huq Omi himself, as well as former ambassador of The Netherlands in Myanmar Laetitia van den Assum, journalist Martin O'Brien, co-founder and co-director of the Institute on Statelessness and Inclusion Amal de Chickera and 136 I am Rohingya book publisher Maarten Schilt.
Signed copies of the books will be available for purchase.
- Welcome and introduction by Ramesh Ganohariti & Ernst Dijxhoorn (Institute for Security and Global Affairs)
- Presentation by Saiful Huq Omi’s on his two books on the Rohingya
- Panel discussion with Laetitia van den Assum (former ambassador and member of Advisory Commission on Rakhine State, Myanmar), Martin O'Brien (the Social Change Initiative), Maarten Schilt (Schilt Publishing) and Amal de Chikera (Institute for Statelesness and Inclusion).
- Q & A
- Drinks reception