Workshop on data processing with ELAN and Flex
- Monday 12 March 2018
- Descriptive and Anthropological Linguistics Discussion Group
2311 BD Leiden
A workshop on data processing with ELAN and Flex organized by the Anthropological & Descriptive Linguistics Discussion group. It will be a practical workshop on the combined use of this (free) software using your own laptop. ELAN is a program to time-align your audio recording with transcriptions. Flex is a program to interlinearize your texts and create a lexicon. In this workshop, you will learn to:
- Create and ELAN transcription that is exportable to Flex and export it
- Import this transcription into Flex and gloss / interlinearize it in Flex
- Export the glossed text from Flex and import it back into ELAN
Preparation before the workshop:
- Install ELAN (by The Language Archive at MPI) on your laptop (NOT simple-ELAN). ELAN is available for Windows, Mac and Linux at this website: https://tla.mpi.nl/tools/tla-tools/elan/download/
- Install FLEX (FieldWorks by SIL) on your laptop. https://software.sil.org/fieldworks/download/ Unfortunately, FLEx is only available for Windows and Linux.
- Bring an audio file (in .wav format) that you want to work with. You can also bring a corresponding video file of the same recording session. If you only have a video file with integrated sound, you will have to extract the audio (.wav) from there beforehand. Please check here which video formats are supported by ELAN: http://www.mpi.nl/corpus/html/elan/ch01.html#Sec_Media_Files_and_Annotation_Files
If you don’t have any audio file that you could use, please let us know. We can provide something for you.
- Find language codes on ethnologue: https://www.ethnologue.com/ (for language of research but also languages of analysis/translation) . [You can also find it in Flex, if you are using Flex already: Tools --> Configure --> Set up Writing System --> Vernacular Writing System Add (if not yet in the list) --> Modify --> Ethnologue Code]
- Make sure you know the Ethnologue language codes for the languages your are working on, you will need this code when setting up your ELAN and FLEX projects.
- [Optional] If you would like to use IPA for your transcriptions, make sure that you have a Unicode IPA keyboard installed, such as these phonetic keyboards http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/resource/phonetics/ or
If you run into any problems with the preparations, you can come earlier to the workshop and we can try to solve the problem together. We will be there starting from 14:30. To be able to estimate the number of participants, please let us know if you are planning to attend!