BA and MA courses of visiting professor of Buddhist Studies, Yukio Yamanaka
- Dr. Yukio Yamanaka
- 7 February 2018 - 18 May 2018
2311 BD Leiden
Yukio Yamanaka is offering the following classes open to all university students and the general public during the remainder of this semester.
- BA course: Wednesday evenings, 19.00-21.00, beginning 7 February. Lipsius 030. Catalogue # 5480KEX02H
- MA Course: Tuesday evenings, 19.00-21.00, beginning 6 February, Lipsius 208. (Catalogue # 5174KEX02W
These courses are open to *all* free of charge; community members who wish to attend without credit need not register. Students may register for credit.
BA (undergraduate) lecture course: The History of the Buddhism in Thailand
This course introduces the history of the Buddhism in the central realm of the Indochinese peninsula, Thailand, with some attention given to the surrounding regions in a historical framework.
MA course (seminar): From Buddhānusmṛti to Nembutsu: A History of Buddha Contemplation across Asia
The course deals with the historical development and changes of a Buddhist practice, Contemplation of the Buddha. We will observe how had this practice been received and interpreted across Asia.
The goals of this course are to
- obtain basic knowledge about Buddhist practices and their technical terms
- obtain an overview of the spread of the Buddhism across Asia
There are no particular prerequisites in this course. Basic knowledge of the history of the Buddhism will be a plus.
The following themes will be discussed in the course:
- General introduction to the Buddhānusmṛti and reciting the name of the Buddha
- The Buddhānusmṛti of the Theravāda and other Buddhist schools
- The Buddhānusmṛti described in Mahāyāna sūtras
- Reciting the name of the Buddha in the Lotus sūtra
- Debate about the reciting of the name of the Buddha: Is it only one of the meritorious deeds, or a direct path to the “Awakening”
- The Buddhānusmṛti of East Asian “Pure Land Buddhism”: A new Chinese interpretation of the Buddhānusmṛti and its Japanese reception