Conference | Workshop
Guiding Travelers: Reading the landscape
- Nicolas Trépanier (University of Mississipi)
- Eva Todorova (Bulgarian Academy of Sciences)
- Lilli Zabrana (Österreichisches Archäologischen Institut)
- Friday 23 February 2018
2333 CC Leiden
This workshop will be organised within the ‘Guiding Travelers’ initiative and in collaboration with the ‘Byzantijnse Studies Nederland’, the Dutch committee of the 'Association Internationale des Etudes Byzantines (AIEB)’. Three guests are invited, who will address the topic in
- William Visits the Battlefield: Medieval Travelers and the Anatolian Landscape, by Nicolas Trépanier
- Mapping Byzantine Amphorae in Bulgaria and in the Black Sea Region (7th-14th c.), by Eva Todorova
- Witnesses of a Lost Culture: the Old Nubian Villages Babund Al-Guwani (Upper Egypt), by Lilli Zabrana
The Guiding Travelers programme at Leiden University investigates the connections between various 'Medieval and Post-Medieval networks'. Questions raised concern:institutional issues; the agency of people and objects; the role of geography in physically established connections; the spread
of information and technological change; and how these aspects evolved between ca. the 6th and 20th century on the Eurasian continent.
The workshop is funded by Global Interactions Leiden.
Please let us know if you are planning to attend and if you are interested in joining us for drinks after the workshop: email@example.com (BSN).