Symposium Professor Hans Franken
- Joanne van der Leun
- Simone van der Hof
- Rick Lawson
- Nico Schrijver
- Carel Smith
- John Borking (adviseur CMS Derks Star Busmann)
- Corien Prins (decaan Tilburg Law School)
- Friday 9 September 2016
Kamerlingh Onnes Building
2311 ES Leiden
- Grotius room (A051)
Leiden Law School has organised a symposium in honour of the 80th birthday of emeritus professor and former dean of the law faculty Professor Hans Franken.
Hans Franken (1936) was one of the founders of the Department of Law and Information Technology in the 1980s, now the eLaw Department. He was awarded a cum laude doctorate degree in 1974 by the University of Amsterdam having carried out research on jurimetrics. Subsequent positions included Professor of Jurisprudence at Erasmus University Rotterdam and Leiden University. In 1988 Professor Franken became a member of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences (KNAW). His book “InLeiden tot de Rechtswetenschap” formed a first acquaintance with the study of law for many generations of students.
Professor Franken started his legal career as a Public Prosecutor in Amsterdam. Throughout the 1960s and 70s he held various positions at the Public Prosecution Service and the judiciary in Rotterdam. Having focussed for some years on his academic career, he went on to become involved in politics in the 1980s. From 1984 to 1987 he was a member of the State Council and from 2004 – 2015 a member of the Senate for the Christian Democratic Appeal Party (CDA) as well as a member of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe and of the Parliamentary Assembly of the OCSE.
His rich and varied career and his impressive age gave reason to organise this symposium which will celebrate his academic achievements, his involvement in society and his life.
14.30 Welcome with coffee and tea
15.15 Opening symposium with speakers including:
- Professor Joanne van der Leun (Dean of Leiden Law School)
- Dr John Borking (consultant CMS Derks Star Busmann)
- Mrs Ankie Broekers-Knol (President of the Senate) (provisional)
- Professor Simone van der Hof (Professor of Law and Digital Technologies)
- Professor Rick Lawson (Professor of European Law)
- Professor Corien Prins (Dean of Tilburg Law School),
- Professor Nico Schrijver (Professor of Public International Law)
- Dr Carel Smith (Dean of PhD Studies)
Including music from viola player Esther Apituley
16.30 End of programme, followed by a reception