Theology and Religious Studies (MA)
Create a world of opportunities with a master's degree from Leiden University.
Our graduates have pursued successful careers in research and in the public, private and non-profit sectors as editors, journalists, policy advisors, counsellors or teachers of religion or philosophy.
Positions of our graduates include
- Teacher of Religion and Society at a secondary school
- PhD candidate at an international university
- Political Party Officer
- Consultant at McKinsey
- Member of Staff at the Ministry of Social Affairs and Employment
- Traineeship Municipality The Hague
- Policy officer at a Christian NGO
The MA programme in Theology and Religious Studies offers excellent preparation for students seeking a profession that requires advanced analytical skills and specialised knowledge of religion and its cultural, geographic and historic context.
A Leiden University degree
Leiden University master's graduates are sought-after employees at (inter)national organisations. Our graduates are known for their combination of robust academic training, in-depth and relevant knowledge, and critical, multidisciplinary approach to problem-solving.
In which sector do students find jobs?
- 25.0 % Education
- 25.0 % Research
- 8.0 % Consulting
- 8.0 % Culture, sports and recreation
- 8.0 % Non-profit (e.g. at an idealistic organisation)
- 8.0 % Government and semi-government organisations
- 17.0 % Miscellaneous
How successful are they in finding a job?
- 93.0 % found a job within two months
- 73.0 % found their first job at academic level
- 100.0 % held a position at academic level when the study was carried out