Population Health Management (MSc)
FAQ about Population Health Management
Is your question not on this FAQ? Please contact us for a personalised answer via: firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the programme
We have arranged some online information activities for students who are considering to study PHM. Check out our upcoming events here.
For more personalized information, get in touch with us:
The programme starts on 1 September 2021 for the first time, we don’t have student and alumni yet. But you can always receive more information about the programme. Just make an appointment through master.PHM@lumc.nl.
At this moment it is not possible to start the programme on the 1st February. The first available moment to start is 1st of September 2021.
Although we don’t offer part time studying officially, there are -depending on your situation- possibilities to combine this master with a job or another master.
Our study advisor can help you designing a programme.
A medical background is a good background for taking this master but certainly not the only one. You do need basic knowledge on pathophysiology and pathology, the organisation of health care and health policy and quantitative methods (research methodology, epidemiology and/or statistics). Tailormade bridging programmes will be made available if you don’t meet the criteria. For the exact admission criteria check this page.
Depending on background, learners from the professional field are very welcome to take one or more separate courses. More information via the study advisor.
Yes, several courses can be taken as elective. Please check the prospectus for the information per course or get in contact via master.PHM@lumc.nl.
Population Health Management trains to become an Academic Trusted Partner and operates mainly on a strategic and tactical level. An important part of PHM is the foundation from medicine in combination with data. In comparison with, for example, the Health Management master's, much attention is paid to epidemiology, statistics and data science. The focus on medicine leads to a focus on syndemics (interaction between development of the disease/sickness and social determinants).
The Master's in Health Management (Erasmus) trains people to be managers of an intervention, department or small organisation. The focus is implementation of changes within the current system: optimising healthcare logistics. Population Health Management reasons from a value perspective, supported by data, to come to a total solution; a transition thinking to a different healthcare system instead of optimising the current system.
The tuition fees for the academic year 2021-2022 can be found here.
For all housing requests, please find your answer at the Leiden University Housing page.
If you doubt whether or not you are admissible, please send an e-mail to master.PHM@lumc.nl.
Our master’s programme is recently accreditated and not yet completely implemented in Studielink and the university systems. If you want to apply, please fill in this form and we will get in contact with you as soon as formal application is possible.
We don’t know yet because the programme starts in September 2021 for the first time.
But the programme has a strong commitment to the principles of the international classroom, in which students from different backgrounds come together, learn to work together and learn from each other. An international, diverse student population guarantees students the diversity of cultures, backgrounds, professional and life experience and world views necessary to create the required skills to navigate through and give direction to the complex and changing health care landscape.
Our Education is provided online and in the city of The Hague at thre LUMC Campus The Hague.
The PHM programme is designed as a blended programme; during the first year 75% of the education is online. We will strive to provide the remaining 25% of the education on campus, because the intensive on campus week adds value to the programme. But if the corona virus demands us otherwise; we are experienced in developing an online alternative.
After your graduation you have the opportunity to work in many organisations in strategic staff positions or as a data scientist, depending on your specialization, in health and social care organisations, insurers, policy organisations at international, national and local level and suppliers in health care to researchers in academic institutes.
It should not be too hard to find a job after graduation. The field of PHM is growing and our programme is almost unique worldwide. We expect that the international job market will offer great career opportunities for graduates.