Political Legitimacy and Justice (MSc)
This specialisation prepares you to combine the insights and rigour of social science with the practical skills needed to make a difference in the world of foreign policy formation, implementation, and evaluation.
You acquire the advanced substantive and theoretical knowledge, as well as practical skills, necessary for a successful career in a vast range of professions. With a master’s diploma you can also opt for a more advanced PhD-level training in Political Science.
What a Political Science graduate brings to the table
During your studies, you will develop skills that are wanted by employers in both the private and the public sphere:
- a solid understanding of how governments and other political bodies work
- the ability to efficiently collect information and relevant opinions
- synthesising your findings into a coherent and persuasive argument
- independent thinking; the capacity to weigh opposing views
- the ability to present your view, in speech and in writing
- analytical, problem solving skills
Where do Political Science graduates work?
Political Science per se is not a vocational training. It does not automatically lead to this or that particular profession. Perhaps the broad nature of the discipline is also a strength when it comes to occupational opportunities. You will find Political Science graduates practically anywhere—in administration, politics and policy, but also in business, education and journalism. Although this list is not inclusive, political science majors can be found in the following careers:
- public administration
- international affairs specialist
- law enforcement
- legislative staff member
- political analyst
- public policy researcher
- campaign management
- news correspondent
- sales and marketing
- speech writer
- urban and regional planner
- non-profit organizations
Go to the LU Career Zone for more information on positons and organisations where alumni of Political Science work.
Further, specific examples of positions that Leiden Political Science alumni hold after graduation and the employers they work for can be found here: