Ethics and Politics (MA)
On this page you will find the admission requirements for this programme.
A bachelor’s degree from a university, equivalent to the level of a Dutch academic bachelor’s degree.
Knowledge, understanding and skills comparable to those acquired upon graduation from the Bachelor’s programme in Philosophy at Leiden University. Specifically applicants should:
- be able to formulate a clear philosophical research question.
- be able to formulate their own critical philosophical positions and argue for these coherently.
- have substantive knowledge of ethics and political philosophy and their history
- Applicants who have a Bachelor’s degree in Philosophy from Leiden University are always eligible for admission and need to apply through Studielink only.
- All others need to submit an online application.
Applicants with a degree from a Dutch University of Applied Sciences (HBO) are not eligible for admission.
Sufficient command of English (IELTS 7.0, TOEFL 100 (internet-based) or Cambridge English: Proficiency (CPE)). For a list of exceptions, see the website on language requirements.
Cambridge English Exam equivalences
Other exam criteria
- Exam results may not be more than two years old.
- Institutional exams, such as ITP-TOEFL, cannot be accepted.
- Chinese students who need a Nuffic certificate should take either an IELTS or a TOEFL IBT exam.
You may be considered exempt from submitting one of the above-mentioned English exam results if:
- You have an (English-taught) International Baccalaureate.
- You completed your secondary or higher education in the USA, the UK, Ireland, New Zealand, Australia or Canada (except French-taught programmes in Canada).
- At the discretion of the Board of Admissions, you are a Dutch student with pre-university education (VWO) level English.
In exceptional cases, students who otherwise qualify for an exemption but whose application documents cast doubt on their English proficiency may be asked to sit an English exam.
Submitting your exam results
All English exam results must be uploaded to the online application system.
Your English exam results must be checked for authenticity by the Admissions Office before the deadline for applying for a visa/residence permit (if applicable), or before the start date of your programme. To make this possible, please do the following:
- TOEFL exam: tell ETS to send your original results report to Leiden University Admissions Office – institution code 0504.
- Cambridge certificate: send your ID number and your “secret number” (check the Candidate Results Online service) to the Leiden University Admissions Office.
- IELTS: a scanned exam result is sufficient - no further steps will be required.