Latin American Studies (MA)
The master’s programme of Latin American Studies offered by Leiden University supports the teaching and research of the social, cultural, historical, and linguistic diversity of contemporary Latin America, a region of mind-blowing diversity and global impact.
- The unique opportunity to specialise in the Latin American region, including a global perspective and offering unique combination of multi-disciplinary expertise for the Netherlands in the field of Brazilian studies. In fact, students can chose to focus on any of the countries in the region, depending on their research interests.
- The opportunity of extending the full immersion in the region that our programme offers through fieldwork in Latin America, for which students receive supervision and guidance.
- Small-scale teaching and research-led teaching.
- Knowledge and skills that support our graduates in their careers inside and outside academia.
Why study Latin American Studies at Leiden University?
Taught by scholars from Leiden University's internationally-acclaimed Faculty of Humanities, and including collaboration from visiting experts on Latin America, the master in Latin American Studies explores the most current social, political, linguistic and cultural developments shaping Latin America today. You may choose from one of three disciplinary tracks:
- Cultural Analysis in Latin America
- Public Policies in Latin America
- Language Variation and Bilingualism
Three broad tracks ensure a deep theoretical and methodological underpinning, allowing students to specialise in their areas of interest. The tracks tie in with the teaching and research expertise in our programme. In addition to the mandatory courses within each track, students can broaden or deepen their knowledge through a wide choice of electives, self-devised fieldwork and their thesis.
Fieldwork research in Latin America
A research trip to Latin America immerses you in one of the Latin American cultures and languages, while developing your ability to conduct high-quality scientific research and communicate professionally and effectively.
Admission and Application
Do you want to find out if you are eligible for this Master's programme?
A supportive environment
A substantial part of the programme is taught in Spanish and Portuguese: another reason why this programme attracts ambitious students from all over the world. Small classes ensure a high level of interaction between you, your international peers, and your lecturers – creating an exceptionally stimulating and supportive learning environment.
In which sector do students find jobs?
- 22 Non profit
- 11 Government and semi-government organisations
- 11 Consultancy
- 11 Business services
- 11 Education
- 34 Other
Latin American Studies degree
Latin American Studies at Leiden University is an accredited degree programme. After successful completion of this programme, you will receive a master’s degree in Latin American Studies and the title Master of Arts (MA).