Latin American Studies (research) (MA)
Our goal is to prepare you to make a difference in your future career.
Knowledge and skills
With the skills and knowledge you have gained during the master Latin American Studies (research) at Leiden University you will be able to work in a range of professional and academic careers.
- You will be able to acquire academic knowledge, understanding and skills, and learn to use scientific methods in the field of Latin American Studies in general, and in particular with regard to the chosen specialisation.
- You will be able to think critically and to present your findings in written and spoken English and/or Spanish, and/or Portuguese.
- You will be able to organise your work and meet tight deadlines.
- You will be able to research, select, analyse, organise and present information.
- You will gain comprehensive knowledge of the Latin American region.
- You will gain knowledge of the most important contemporary central research questions and be able to place them in their linguistic, cultural and/or historical context, with a special focus on knowledge of current debates on Latin American Modernities.
- You will be able to carry out independent research in Latin America.
- You will develop intercultural skills.
- For those who choose to accentuate fieldwork within the scope of the social studies: knowledge of its basic concepts, research methods and techniques and the developments in the specialisation; or: For those who choose to accentuate field work within the scope of Latin American cultural studies: knowledge of basic concepts, research methods and of text and discourse analysis.
Internships or research projects
In recent years students from the master Latin American Studies (research) have been doing internships or research projects at the following organisations:
- Mexico: Colegio de Mexico (Mexico D.F.), Universidad Jesuita de Guadalajara/ITESO, Benemérita Universidad Autónoma de Puebla
- Ecuador: FLACSO
- Brazil: Universidade de São Paulo, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina, Fundação Getulio Vargas.Chile: Universidad Diego Portales, Universidad Central de Chile, Universidad de Chile, Universidad Academia de Humanismo Cristiano.
- Cuba: Casa de las Americas, Universidad de la Habana
- Argentina: Universidad de Buenos Aires, Universidad de Cordoba
The research master in Latin American Studies has an active alumni network. Two times a year in November and April the programme invites alumni to talk to current students sharing their career paths, offering advice, and show them the possibilities for a research job in- or outside the University.
Humanities Career Service
Our staff can help you identify both the career that is right for you, and the necessary steps to get you there. Our team at Humanities Career Service provide all Leiden University humanities students with professional advice and guidance on everything from internships and career planning to job applications. Humanities Career Service also organises regular workshops on topics such as effective interview skills and creating a successful CV.
Humanities Career Event
Each year, the Faculty of Humanities organises a Humanities Careers Event. This all-day event is your chance to learn everything you can about how to find the job you want and successfully attain it. The event includes workshops on a wide range of topics as well as opportunities to network with alumni and potential employers and attain tips, information and potential job leads.
Check out the video of the Humanities Career Event 2019!