Cultural Anthropology and Development Sociology (MSc)
Admission and Application
We invite motivated students from around the world to apply for the Master of Science in Cultural Anthropology and Development Sociology. The general admission requirements apply for all three specialisations.
General admission requirements
- A bachelor degree in Cultural Anthropology, or a bachelor degree with a major in Cultural Anthropology, or its equivalent in Social and Behavioural Studies, Cultural Studies, or Humanities from a recognised university (according to NUFFIC classification).
- Basic training in the anthropological research process and methodology (research proposal, fieldwork, and data analysis).
- Applicants with a bachelor's or master’s degree from higher professional education (HBO) in the field of culture, behavior, and society (or in a closely related field) that meet the language requirements, are taken into consideration for our 60 ECTS pre-master’s programme.
Proof of proficiency in English: IELTS 7.0 or TOEFL 600/250 (100 for the internet-based TOEFL), evidenced by an appropriate test.
This requirement does not apply if you have:
- Completed your education in Canada, USA, UK, Ireland, New Zealand or Australia, or
- An International Baccalaureate, or
- Dutch VWO diploma.
Visual Ethnography specific requirements
In addition to the general requirements, to participate in our Visual Ethnography specialisation you must also have completed either our bachelor courses in Visual Methods or the equivalent. Please visit the Visual Ethnography webpage to find out more about the additional entry requirements.
You will be required to complete a pre-master's programme if our Admissions Board decides that you lack appropriate knowledge to get direct admission to the master's programme.
For more information about our pre-master's programme see here.
Do you want to apply for one of our specialisations? Please visit the specialisation of your interest to find out more about the application and admission section: