Research in Chemistry (MSc)
In the two-year master's specialisation Research in Chemistry you focus on either Chemical Biology or Energy & Sustainability. You will obtain skills and knowledge to become an independent and creative scientist.
What does this master’s programme entail?
The Research in Chemistry master's specialisation has a fundamental approach to finding tailor-made solutions for human health and environmental problems. The research is focussed on two major research areas:
- Chemical Biology: within this research area you will study fundamental biological and biomedical problems, to understand physiological processes at the molecular level and to gather more knowledge on human health and illnesses.
- Energy & Sustainability: within this research area you will focus on the development of new sources of sustainable energy and the use of storage of energy. For example you will be working on the development of a new generation of catalysts for the production of solar fuels.
Read more about our Research in Chemistry programme.
Discover why our students choose the Chemistry master's programmeThis video cannot be shown because you did not accept cookies. Please accept cookies or leave our website to view this video.
Why study Research in Chemistry at Leiden University?
- Within this Master’s specialisation you design your own individual, tailor-made programme together with your mentor.
- The research specialisation is designed to train you for a career in research: the majority of the students will continue their studies in a PhD position.
- During your programme, you will be part of a multidisciplinary research team of internationally renowned researchers where you will conduct your Master research project.
Find more reasons to choose Research in Chemistry at Leiden University.
Research in Chemistry: the right master’s programme for you?
The master’s specialisation Research in Chemistry is an excellent choice if you want to pursue a career in chemistry research. The Master of Science programme guarantees thorough research training founded on a profound theoretical basis. More in general, Research in Chemistry is the best choice if you have the aspiration to pursue a PhD degree.
Read more about the entry requirements for Research in Chemistry.