Art, Architecture and Interior before 1800 (MA)
To be eligible for Art, Architecture and Interior before 1800 at Leiden University, you must meet the following admission requirements.
The following diploma requirements apply for this programme:
- A bachelor’s degree from a Dutch research university in Art History.
- Holders of a comparable bachelor’s degree from a research university, equivalent to the level of a Dutch academic Bachelor’s degree, or who can demonstrate that they meet the requirements for such a degree, may also be granted admission.
- Or completed the pre-master's/ bridging programme. Contact the coordinator of studies.
N.B. Applicants with a degree from a Dutch university of applied sciences (HBO) are not eligible for admission to the Master’s and pre-master’s programme.
You should have knowledge and understanding:
- of the history of art production in western and non-western cultures from Antiquity down to the present day and of different forms of art, architecture and design;
- of form, function, content, material and technique of art works;
- and the ability to give well-founded criticism to academic art-historical texts.
- Students with a Bachelor of Art History from Leiden University are directly eligible for admission, if at least the appropriate specialisation course is completed. Students must apply in Studielink, preferably no later than 1 month before the start of the programme. There is no need to submit an application for admission using the online application portal.
In order to successfully participate in this programme, you must be proficient in English. The following requirements apply:
- IELTS: 7.0
- TOEFL: 100
- C2 Proficiency (former CPE) or C1 Advanced (former CAE) 185
A minimum score of IELTS 7.0 or TOEFL 25 is required for each of the four components.
For detailed information, including exemption criteria and methods of submission, refer to English language proficiency.
English tests accepted
Results may not be more than two years old!
- IELTS: academic modules only
- TOEFL: internet based
- We do not accept TOEFL My Best ™ scores (multiple test scores combined). The sufficient score must be obtained in one individual test. Also not accepted are institutional tests such as ITP.
- We are able to accept the TOEFL Special Home Edition™ for admission to the academic years 2020-2021 and 2021-2022.
- Cambridge English Exam C2 Proficiency or C1 Advanced, depending on admission criteria
Please note: You do not have to submit proof of proficiency if you have completed your education in Canada (except French-taught programmes in Canada), USA, UK, Ireland, New Zealand or Australia, or when you hold an International Baccalaureate, or for Dutch students, if you have completed VWO level English or an English taught bachelor at a Dutch Research University.