International Relations and Organisations (BSc)
Selection and placement procedure
Our selection and placement procedure starts with your application (i.e. prior to 15 January 2020) and ends with—hopefully—an invitation to you to enrol as an IRO student. This page tells you all you need to know about the steps to be taken in between.
Selection and placement: overview
Selection and placement: step by step
Early application deadline
Applications for Political Science: International Relations and Organisations open on 1 October 2020 and close on 15 January 2021.
Please note that applications for the coming academic year, 2020-2021, are closed.
Check the entry requirements
Make sure you will be able to meet the entry requirements when the programme starts:
- BSc Politicologie (in Dutch)
- Bsc Politicologie: Internationale Politiek (in Dutch)
- BSc Political Science: International Relations and Organisations
You can participate in the selection and placement procedure if you expect to graduate from high school prior to the start of the programme. In that case, your pre-graduation class grade averages will be used in the selection procedure, and eventual placement will be conditional upon you receiving the required diploma.
Visa and/or residence permit needed?
Familiarise yourself with the procedure for obtaining visa and/or a residence permit, if applicable to your situation.
Studielink account, DigiD
Finding IRO in Studielink
- Open Studielink: www.studielink.nl
- Choose your language in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Log in.
- In step 2, Choose a study programme, make sure to select the following options:
- Educational institution: Leiden University
- Type of study programme: WO Bachelor
- Academic load: Full-time
- Then, in the search bar (Fill in study programme or location), type :
- political science
Selecting IRO in Studielink
- From the Results that appear to the right of the search bar, make sure to select this option:
- Political Science, Full-time, numerus fixus programme
- WO Bachelor, Leiden University
- Location: 's-GRAVENHAGE' ('s-Gravenhage is the formal Dutch name for The Hague)
- Click on the blue button Select
- The next screen confirms that you have selected the right programme:
- Verify the start date, type of enrolment and start as fields.
- Click Next › and answer the remaining questions.
After you have completed your application in Studielink, you will receive an e-mail message from the student administration system uSis. This message also contains your login credentials.
The next step is to provide your grade average. Please note that there are two different procedures for doing this. Which procedure you have to follow, depends on your previous education.
S&P Group A: VWO6, HBO-diploma, university propedeuse or higher (Dutch applicants)
- Upload your grade average, following these instructions (in Dutch).
- Upload the requested documentation—transition or final grade list— to the portal. Use the blue button Selection & Placement.
S&P Group B+C: other Dutch and international diploma’s, non-Dutch high school, HBO-propedeuse, colloquium doctum
- Upload the documents required to the portal. Use the green Application Study Programme button.
You will receive Instructions regarding the content and form of the motivation letter by email on 27 January 2020. These instructions will also explain how and where to hand in the letter. Please read these instructions carefully before starting your letter.
Please note that you can submit your letter only in the period from 28 January 2021 to 5 February 2021. Outside this period, letters cannot be accepted.
Please note: The dates listed below are for the application and selection procedure for the academic year 2021-2022. The online assessment that is part of the current procedure (for 2020-2021) was open from 14 February 2020, 12:00 CET to 15 February 2020, 12:00 CET.
- Study the instructions for the online assessment. You will receive these instructions by e-mail.
- Open the online assessment in NEO LMS. Read the instructions and familiarise yourself with the study materials provided. Please note that these materials will not be available during the assessment.
- Do the online assessment.
Please note that the assessment is open only from 12 February 2021, 12:00 CET to 13 February 2021, 12:00 CET. Outside this period, you cannot do the assessment.
In the middle of April 2021* you will receive your ranking number from Studielink by e-mail. Also, you will receive instructions for accepting or declining the place offered to you. Furthermore, you will receive a letter explaining the ‘score’ determining your ranking in the selection and placement procedure.
Initially, places are offered to candidates with a ranking number between 1 and 600. This does not mean that candidates with a higher ranking number will fall by the wayside. After all, offers must be accepted. And it may happen that candidates ultimately fail to comply with the entry requirements. When a place becomes vacant, it is offered to the candidate with the next ranking number.
If you are offered a place, you can accept it in Studielink.
Note, there is also a strict deadline for accepting offered places. From the moment you receive the offer, you have a maximum of two weeks to accept the offer (14 x 24 hours, to be precise).
*If you take part in the selection and placement procedure for the coming academic year, 2020-2021, you will receive your ranking number on 15 April 2020.
Official selection regulations
The official document containing all guidelines for the selection and placement procedure can be dowloaded here: