Leiden Leadership Programme
Do you have the drive and ambition to further develop your leadership qualities and your knowledge of leadership? And would you like to learn more about leadership in practice?
What is the Leiden Leadership Programme?
The Leiden Leadership Programme is a one-year course in which highly motivated master's students can learn about leadership and discover and develop their own leadership skills. Thanks to its small-scale approach and supportive tutor-mentor, you’ll be working on your personal development on a very personal level. During what can best be described as an interdisciplinary programme you will attend seminars and skills-training sessions, all of which will give you more insight into your strengths and weaknesses and the effect that your behaviour has on others. Together with some of your fellow students, you’ll also work on a tough practical assignment and experience the complexity of leadership in practice.
Who is the Leiden Leadership Programme for?
The Leiden Leadership Programme is open to all master’s students at Leiden University and TU Delft, irrespective of their study and background. However, given that the programme must be a good match for you, there are several conditions that you need to meet if you want to participate. Do you identify yourself with the characteristics below? Maybe then the Leiden Leadership Programme is something for you?
- You are highly motivated and you feel you could take on an intensive challenge alongside your master’s programme.
- You’d like to develop your leadership skills in a challenging, practical environment.
- You’d like to look further than your own discipline and work together with students who are studying in other fields.
- You are willing to reflect critically on your own development.
- You attained good grades in your bachelor's programme.
What are the advantages of doing the Leiden Leadership Programme?
Participating in the Leiden Leadership Programme offers many advantages, from which you will benefit for the rest of your life:
- You’ll discover and develop your leadership skills.
- You'll learn to recognise talent from others and use them effectively.
- You’ll gain insights into your strengths and weaknesses.
- You’ll learn about the theory of leadership.
- You’ll be able to draw up a roadmap for your further development.
- You’ll learn how to function effectively in an organisation.
- You’ll build up your professional network.
- You’ll receive an honours certificate and get an extra 20 ECs on your master's supplement.
The content of the Leiden Leadership Programme
During the Leiden Leadership Programme you’ll work in different ways on developing your personal leadership skills, in both theory and in practice.
- Assessments: your leadership capacities and ambitions will be mapped out.
- Practical assignment: in the context of an organisation or company, you’ll work on a complex problem in multidisciplinary teams of four students.
- Skills training: you’ll receive training in crucial leadership skills and be stimulated to further develop your negotiation, conflict-resolution and motivation skills.
- Seminars: your knowledge of leadership will be increased through discussions with leading scientists and successful leaders.
The Leiden Leadership Programme certificate
If you complete the Leiden Leadership Programme successfully, you will receive an honours certificate, as well as a mention on your diploma supplement.
- Scope of the programme: an additional 20 ECs.
- Programme duration and planning: The program lasts 1 year and runs from September to June. Motivated students can follow this programmes besides their own master's programme.
- Tuition language: Dutch.
- Cost: Participation in the Leiden Leadership Programme costs €250.
If you are interested in the Leiden Leadership Programme and would like to learn more about it, check out the Honours Academy website. There, you will find information about the programme itself and the registration and selection procedures. You can also read about the experiences of students who have followed it.