International Leiden Leadership Programme
Do you have the drive and ambition to further develop your leadership qualities and your knowledge of leadership? And would you like to learn more about leadership in practice?
What is the International Leiden Leadership Programme?
The International Leiden Leadership Programme is a one-year course in which highly motivated master's students can learn about leadership and discover and develop their own leadership skills. Thanks to its small-scale approach and supportive tutor-mentor, you’ll be working on your personal development on a very personal level. During what can best be described as an interdisciplinary programme you will attend seminars and skills-training sessions, all of which will give you more insight into your strengths and weaknesses and the effect that your behaviour has on others. Together with some of your fellow students, you’ll also work on a tough practical assignment and experience the complexity of leadership in practice.
Who is the International Leiden Leadership Programme for?
The International Leiden Leadership Programme is open to all master’s students at Leiden University, TU Delft and Erasmus University Rotterdam, irrespective of their study and background. However, given that the programme must be a good match for you, there are several conditions that you need to meet if you want to participate. If you can identify with the characteristics listed below, you should definitely consider enrolling for the International Leiden Leadership Programme.
- You are highly motivated and you feel you could take on an intensive challenge alongside your master’s programme.
- You’d like to develop your leadership skills in a challenging, practical environment.
- You’d like to look further than your own discipline and work together with students who are studying in other fields.
- You are self-critical. You attained good grades in your bachelor's programme.
What are the advantages of doing the International Leiden Leadership Programme?
Participating in the International Leiden Leadership Programme offers many advantages, from which you will benefit for the rest of your life:
- You’ll discover and develop your leadership skills.
- You’ll learn how to manage other people.
- You’ll gain insights into your strengths and weaknesses.
- You’ll learn a lot about the theory of leadership.
- You’ll be able to draw up a roadmap for your further development.
- You’ll learn how to function effectively in an organisation.
- You’ll build up your professional network.
- You’ll receive an honours certificate and get an extra 5 ECs on your master's supplement.
The content of the International Leiden Leadership Programme
During the International Leiden Leadership Programme you’ll work in different ways on developing your leadership skills, in both theory and in practice.
- Assessments: your leadership capacities and ambitions will be mapped out.
- Practical assignment: in the context of an organisation or company, you’ll work on a complex problem in multidisciplinary teams of four students.
- Skills training: you’ll receive training in crucial leadership skills and be stimulated to further develop your negotiation, conflict-resolution and motivation skills.
- Seminars: your knowledge of leadership will be increased through discussions with leading scientists and successful leaders.
The International Leiden Leadership Programme certificate
If you complete the International Leiden Leadership Programme successfully, you will receive an honours certificate, as well as a mention on your diploma supplement. This will certainly enhance your CV and increase your chances in the job market.
- Scope of the programme: The International Leiden Leadership Programme can earn you an additional 5 ECs.
- Programme duration and planning: The program lasts one semester and starts in February.
- Tuition language: English.
- Cost: Participation in the International Leiden Leadership Programme costs €200.
Marissa van Hamersveld
"The International Leiden Leadership Programme taught me about the most important kind of leadership: personal leadership. It enlightened me about my leadership style and helped me to better understand others."
Student International Studies
“The programme was really awesome. You learn so much about yourself. Your qualities, your personality and more importantly, the areas in which you can improve to boost your leadership qualities. You are surrounded by ambitious, motivated and inspiring people from whom you learn so much throughout this programme.”
“I found the International Leiden Leadership Programme a challenging programme that can be very useful for those who like to work within an organisation or who would like to make a difference in this world. I really enjoyed the opportunity to learn more about my personality and about how to use my competences to lead.”
If you are interested in the International Leiden Leadership Programme and would like to learn more about it, check out the Honours Academy website. There, you will find information about the programme itself and the registration and selection procedures. You can also read about the experiences of students who have followed it.