What to arrange
Use this handy checklist to make sure you take care of all the necessary formalities before your arrival in Leiden or The Hague.
Before arrival checklist
- Make sure you have met any admission conditions
See your online application for details.
- Arrange tuition fee payment – if applicable
You will receive instructions by email.
- Arrange housing
- Request a student visa/residence permit - if applicable
- Take out health and liability insurance
- Register with a GP in Leiden or The Hague - obligatory
- Read about Leiden University’s Warm Welcome Service
On certain dates, Leiden University offers an 'airport/train station welcome service'. Advance registration is required! In the same period, you can visit a warm welcome information lounge with any questions you might have (no registration required). It makes sense to plan your arrival during the warm welcome service.
- Make your travel plans
Please await the approval of your student visa/residence (if applicable) before booking a non-refundable/non-changeable ticket.
- Sign up for all the necessary post-arrival appointments
You are advised to plan your appointments as early as possible, so they are out of the way before your introduction activities. Appointments are available during the period of the Warm Welcome Service and on later dates.
Town hall appointment
If you’re staying longer than 4 months OR have a student visa/residence permit. Read more and make an appointment.
Biometric data appointment
If we have requested a student residence permit for you, but NOT an entry visa. Read more and make an appointment.
Bank account appointment
Recommended for all students. Read more and make an appointment.
Housing contract appointment
For tenants of Leiden University Housing Office who have not completed contract formalities before arrival:
- Without appointment - at an information lounges during the ‘warm welcome service’
- By appointment on dates outside the warm welcome service
- Sign up for an Introduction week
- Request a LU card online by uploading your photo
You can collect your LU card after arrival from the Student Affairs Front Office.
- Find out how to get from Schiphol airport to your accommodation.
If you arrive during the warm welcome service, our staff will be on hand to assist you at the airport. Or consult this handy online travel planner.
- Download the Leiden University app.
Access your timetable, grades, the latest university news and much more, anytime and anywhere.
- Familiarise yourself with our websites for degree students and exchange/study abroad students.
Here you can information about schedules, guidance, student life and much more.
- Consider learning Dutch!
- Download the Hoi Holland App. This serious game is your first step towards mastering the Dutch language.
- Sign up for the free online course ‘Dutch & more’ – details below.
Online course ‘Dutch & More'
Leiden University invites international students to participate in the free online course ‘Dutch & More’.
The online course ‘Dutch & More' is especially aimed at international students who are going to study at Leiden University. Throughout the course, students will learn the basics of the Dutch language and will get to know student life in Leiden and The Hague better. After successful completion of the online course, students can register for the Dutch Language course at the Leiden University’s Academic Language Centre at the greatly reduced price of €75.
Join the online course ‘Dutch & More’. You can sign up for free by using an access code: DTLE-EFBW
For further information contact the Academic Language Centre.
This video can not be shown because you did not accept cookies.You can leave our website to view this video.