How to apply
Follow this handy step-by-step guide to apply for accommodation via Leiden University’s Housing Office.
Your first step is to apply online for admission to a Bachelor, Master or Study Abroad/Exchange programme at Leiden University. In our online application system you will be asked to indicate whether your require assistance in finding accommodation.
There is no need to await the outcome of your application for admission. You are welcome to begin working on your housing application right away. Don’t leave it too late.
Housing is allocated on first-come first-served basis, therefore you are advised to apply as early as you can.
If you submit your housing application or pay the housing fee after the deadlines mentioned below, your housing application will not be processed.
- 1 June: if you will commence your studies in August/September
- 15 November: if you will commence your studies in January/February
How to apply?
Before applying for housing, carefully read the 'availability and allocation policy' section below.
|Exchange & Study Abroad students|
Availability and allocation policy
Please be aware that there is limited availability of student accommodation in Leiden and The Hague. When applying for accommodation via Leiden University Housing Office, it is important to bear the following in mind:
- The Housing Office unfortunately cannot guarantee accommodation to all students who request housing.
- Accommodation is allocated on a ‘first come first served’ basis. Your place on the housing list is determined by the date on which your housing fee is received.
- We will do our utmost to allocate you a room in your preferred city and price range, however this may not always be possible.
- You will receive one offer of accommodation only. We are unable to send a second offer if the first offer does not meet your expectations.
- You will be offered accommodation in either Leiden or The Hague, subject to availability.
What happens after I apply?
- After submitting your application and fee, you will be placed on the housing list.
- Once the housing deadline has passed, the Housing Office will begin allocating rooms. Accommodation will be allocated in chronological order, i.e. according to the date on which you paid your housing fee.
- You will receive an offer of accommodation up to 8 weeks after the housing deadline. Please let us know within 5 days whether you wish to accept the offer.
- If there are no rooms available, you will be notified by email and your housing fee will be refunded.
- Make sure to let us know, by email, whether you wish to accept the housing offer within five days of receiving it.
- After accepting your offer, you will receive an email containing your housing contract and an explanation of further procedures.
- Sign and return your contract and other requested documents, according to the instructions in the email.
- Pay your rent and any other costs before arrival.
- If you are not able to send us your signed contract before arrival, schedule an appointment to do so after you get here.
Please make an appointment at least five days before you are due to arrive, via the link below:
Upon arrival, all that remains to do is collect your keys.
Collecting your keys
You can collect the keys to your accommodation from the DUWO office, from 13.00 onwards on the first working day within your contract period, unless otherwise communicated to you by the Housing Office.
When planning your arrival date, please bear in mind you can only collect your keys on weekdays during office hours. Picking up the keys before the agreed date is not possible.
Note that you may only collect your keys after you have submitted your signed contract and paid your rent and other necessary costs.