Vision on sustainability
Leiden University works on sustainabilty in three particular areas: business operations, teaching and research. We also communicate on this issue with students, staff and external partners to explain what we are doing and to promote awareness of sustainability.
Until the end of 2020, we followed our Environmental Policy Plan 2016-2020. We will spend the year 2021 developing our new Sustainability Vision 2030, working in close consultation with the student and staff community. This new vision will guide our efforts to enhance the sustainability of our teaching, research and business operations. As well as developing this new vision and ensuring it has the buy-in of the entire organisation, we are working on greening projects that align with the key ambitions from our Environmental Policy Plan 2016-2020:
- to further reduce our direct environmental impact to as low a level as possible, minimally to that of other comprehensive universities.
- to strengthen the visibility of and participation in environmental and sustainability policies by students, staff and the local environment.
- To reduce the carbon footprint of the University by 50 per cent in the coming five years.
Achieving these aims
To achieve these objectives, Leiden University is focusing on:
- Improving its environmental and sustainability performance by means of 6 themes:
- Procurement and investments
- Further integrating sustainability into the University's core tasks: teaching and research.
- Ftimulating, implementing and safeguarding initiatives so that the activities and results of our environmental and sustainability policy will be broadly visible, supported and recognised.
The greening activities that have taken place during the past implementation period are described in the annual Sustainability Report.