Visa and residence permit
Whether or not you need a visa and a residence permit depends on: your purpose of stay, the length of your stay and your nationality.
If you are going to study in the Netherlands as a foreign student you may need a visa (MVV) and/or a residence permit (VVR).
Please complete the following steps:
- Check if you need a visa and/or residence permit here
- Read the visa / residence permit application instructions
- Collect the required documents and make sure you have sufficient funds to cover your living costs and tuition fees
- Submit your visa/residence permit application from 1 May to 1 June 2020 in the online application portal
Student visa and residence permit requests are processed by the Visa department of Leiden University.
- You can only start the visa/residence permit process after you received an offer to start your studies
- You need to submit your application before 1 June 2020
- The process of visa/residence permit approval takes approximately 8 weeks
- Students who require a visa need to collect the visa in their home country before arriving in the Netherlands
- The Dutch immigration department (IND) needs to approve your request before you move to the Netherlands
On the following website you can find all the information regarding which documents you need to submit and the contact information of the Visa department.
Biometric data appointment
If you have requested a student residence permit, but not a visa, you must schedule a 'post-arrival' biometric data appointment as early as possible. Read more about it and make an appointment here.