Universiteit Leiden

nl en

Registration Municipality

Moving to The Hague requires registration at the municipality. Dutch law stipulates that all new residents need to register if they will reside in the Netherlands longer than four months. Since you’ll be studying at LUC for three years, this will be the case for you.

Leiden University schedules a registration day for students every year. The date will be communicated in the upcoming weeks. You can find more information here.

We do recommend though to set a date yourself to register, as this will speed up the process of getting your BSN number (social security number) which will allow you to do many more things in the process of settling in.

Required documents for The Hague

  1. Your completed town hall registration form (please complete the form in Word before printing it)
  2. Your valid passport or ID card (original and copy)
  3. Your confirmation of receipt of your residence permit request from the IND (only for non EU/EEA students; this statement will be sent to you by the Admissions Office)
  4. Copy of your rental contract

EU/EEA Citizens

If you are a citizen of the European Union (EU), EEA (European Economic Area) or Switzerland and if you are living in The Hague, you need to register in the Municipal Personal Records Database (BRP, formerly the GBA) of The Hague.

You can make a town hall appointment online. You can find more information for EU/EEA or Swiss citizents here.

Non-EU citizens

Non-EU citizens need to apply for a residence permit for a legal stay in the Netherlands if they are planning to stay longer than 4 months.

The Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) handles all applications for a residence permit. Please be aware that some nationalities need to apply for a provisional residence permit (MVV) before coming to the Netherlands.

Please wait until we have confirmed that your residence permit application is being processed before making an appointment. Please make sure you check the required documents. You can find the information of making your appointment after receiving your residence permit for non-EU/EEA here.

Once you have your residence permit, please follow the necessary steps on the website of the municipality of The Hague.

This website uses cookies.  More information.