As SAFE, we divide our attention into three streams. Here is some information about what we are currently working on in 2021.
- Better understand the issues faced by BSK students:
- In collaboration with the Institute, we are working to set up themed student focus groups, moderated by an external moderator, in order to take stock of issues related to diversity and inclusion faced by BSK students. We will use this information to help our staff create more inclusive learning environments for students. The project is currently in its final planning stages, with the aim to be carried out in late spring – summer 2021. If you are a student who would like to participate in these theme groups, please email SAFE_BSK@FGGA.leidenuniv.nl.
- Improve inclusivity of curricula:
- In collaboration with the Diversity & Inclusion Office, SAFE set up Inclusive Education @ Leiden, a University-wide forum of staff engaged in diversifying, decolonizing and revisiting their teaching materials and styles. The forum meets once every two months. If you are a staff member interested in joining the mailing list, please e-mail Emily at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Create regular spaces to touch base:
- We host SAFE meetings on a semi-regular basis in which we discuss current issues, information from workshops that have taken place (such as active bystander workshops), or from the contributions of staff members (such as reviewing teacher evaluations). We also sometimes host one-off events, like drinks for International Womxn’s Day.
- Continue collaborating with Centre for Public Values & Ethics
- After a successful first meeting in January 2021 with the Public Ethics committee, we will be available to help organize and attend more informal sessions for BSK colleagues on issues of ethical decisions as teachers.
- Stimulate thinking on inclusive research practice:
- In collaboration with the coordinators of the Institute’s monthly PhD seminar series, we are producing a series of workshops on inclusive research practices. The first will take place on Tuesday, May 4, 2021, and will be led by Tamara Soukotta and Shivant Jhagroe. If you are a PhD student within BSK or FGGA more broadly and are interested in joining, please contact SAFE_BSK@FGGA.leidenuniv.nl to join us (it’s free!).
- Explore how research assistants are hired:
- We will evaluate how research assistant vacancies are promoted among the student body, and offer recommendations on reaching a broader, more diverse group of students for these positions within our Institute. We hope this evaluation can be a best practice and encourage other faculties to adopt similar hiring practices.