Leiden University always follows the health advice of the National Institute for Public Health and the Environment (RIVM) and the travel advice of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Control the spread of the virus: keep your distance and get tested if you have symptoms
Together, we’ll get coronavirus under control. Follow the RIVM’s measures to avoid contracting or spreading the virus:
- Avoid crowds.
- Work from home.
- Keep 1.5 metres from others.
- Wash your hands regularly with soap and water.
- Sneeze or cough into your elbow or cover your mouth and nose with a tissue (not your hands). Dispose of tissues immediately and wash your hands.
- Use an alcohol-based hand sanitiser if soap and water are not available.
- If you experience cold-like symptoms, coughing, shortness of breath and/or an elevated temperature or fever: stay at home and get tested for the coronavirus. Call 0800-1202 for an appointment.
What to do when you feel sick?
As of 1 June 2020, anyone with symptoms that could indicate an infection with coronavirus can be tested. Call 0800-1202 for an appointment. Call your GP if you are experiencing severe shortness of breath or have a high fever, or if you are worried. If you do not have a GP, you can contact the local branch of the Municipal Public Health Service (GGD).
- For Leiden, this is GGD Hollands Midden at 088 308 30 00.
- For The Hague, this is GGD Haaglanden at 088 355 01 00.
Once you have been tested, stay home until you get the results. If you also have a fever or shortness of breath, the other people in your household must also stay home until the results of the test are known. Do your household members also experience any symptoms? Then they can get tested too.
More information on the testing procedure can be found at the RIVM website
Are the guidelines of the Netherlands National Institute for Public Health and the Environment (RIVM) also available in other languages?
Yes, the RIVM website has an English section about coronavirus: RIVM.nl/en/novel-coronavirus. The guidelines are also available as a PDF in four other languages. Download them in Arabic, French, Spanish and Turkish. Or download them from the following site: ludejo.eu/corona.