Leiden University always follows the health advice of the National Institute for Public Health and the Environment (RIVM) and the travel advice of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Leiden University advises basic hygiene practices to prevent the spread of infection. These are:
- Do not shake hands.
- Wash your hands regularly with soap and water.
- Sneeze or cough into your elbow or cover your mouth and nose with a tissue (not your hands). Dispose of tissues immediately.
- Wash your hands after coughing or sneezing.
- Use an alcohol-based hand sanitiser if soap and water are not available.
When should you stay at home?
The Dutch government is asking anyone with a cold, a cough, a sore throat or a fever to go into self-isolation (stay at home and avoid any contact with others). If you live with roommates and/or your family, and one of you gets these symptoms, everyone in the household should stay at home.
If your symptoms worsen, call your doctor or the local branch of the Municipal Public Health Service (GGD) instead.
- For Leiden, this is GGD Hollands Midden at 088 308 30 00.
- For The Hague, this is GGD Haaglanden at 088 355 01 00.
Also see the information from the Dutch government.