Advanced Summer Programme: Preventing, Detecting and Responding to Violent Extremism
This advanced summer programme, organised together with the International Centre for Counter-Terrorism – The Hague (ICCT), provides insight into the opportunities and challenges of various approaches to prevent, detect and respond to violent extremism.
How is violent extremism viewed? How is detection and prevention approached and shaped in policies and practice? How to make sense of theory when designing and developing policy interventions? What is the wider context of violence and extremism and its responses? During our advanced summer programme practitioners and researchers will explore the different academic and policy views on these questions, including critical perspectives.
Through lectures, workshops and panel discussions the participants will exchange ideas and experiences with practitioners, policy makers and researchers.
Speakers of 2022 included:
- dr. Bart Schuurman; on how and why people engage in violent extremism;
- dr. Tahir Abbas; on the significance of focusing on violence when talking about extremism;
- dr. Richard McNeill-Wilson; on the wider context of violence and extremism and its responses;
- dr. Sarah Carthy; on intervention design in the context of radicalization prevention.
For any questions please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Registrations will close on August 1.
After completion of the summer programme, participants will have:
- Insights in the latest dilemmas and trends in the field of radicalisation and prevention of violent extremism;
- Understanding of key concepts and perspectives related to violent extremism;
- Insights in the opportunities and challenges of various approaches to violent extremism and its detection and prevention;
- Proper understanding of the various organisations and stakeholders active in the field of preventing radicalisation and violent extremism and their various roles, perspectives, interests and limitations;
- Perspectives on how to responsibly and ethically design and select policy interventions aimed at detecting, preventing and responding to violent extremism;
- Reflected on one’s own role and position in the field of preventing radicalisation and violent extremism;
- Expanded one’s network with international experts in the field of preventing violent extremism.
This advanced summer programme on Preventing, Detecting and Responding to Violent Extremism is meant for international as well as Dutch professionals that already work in the field of preventing violent extremism. For example:
- Practitioners (police, military, public prosecutors, security service, probation services;
- Policy makers (international, national and regional);
- (Academic) researchers;
- Professionals aiming to expand their understanding of the challenges of violent extremism.
Our Advanced Summer Programme will take place from 21-25 August 2023. Registrations will close on August 1.
The registration fee for the 2023 summer programme is €2950,-.
There’s an early bird fee of €2750,- if you sign up before the 24th of April.
This fee grants you access to interactive lectures, workshops and panel discussions as well as an international network of other participants active in this field. Costs for travel and accommodation to our campus in The Hague are not included in our programme fee.
The Centre for Professional Learning of Leiden University is situated on our campus in The Hague, in the Netherlands. The programme will be conducted on location and not online.
Please contact email@example.com for more information.