PhD Graduate School of Archaeology
Visa, residence and work permit
If you wish to come to the Netherlands, there are certain immigration procedures you need to follow. Leiden University can apply for a visa and residence permit on your behalf.
Using one of our checklists, you can see what you need to do. The Immigration Wizard can help you determine which category applies to you. Make sure you select the appropriate category for your country of origin:
- Checklist 1: TEV Nationality (visa and permit)
- Checklist 2: VVR Nationality (permit)
- Checklist 3: EU/EER countries or Switzerland
After concluding the employment agreement, the HR department of the Faculty of Archaeology will request the Service Centre International Staff of Leiden University to start up your immigration procedure in the ISD webportal.
We will apply for:
- the Dutch entry visa (MVV) on your behalf (at least 8 weeks before the start date of your contract) if applicable. Do not apply for the MVV yourself;
- a residence permit for you and any accompanying family members;
- a work permit (at least 6 weeks before the start date of your contract if applicable).
You will receive an e-mail from the SCIS with login details and the documents needed to complete the application procedure.